HELP - duckling is bleeding!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberCamilia, Apr 18, 2017.

1. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello everyone. My month old male duckling is bleeding from his tail.

[​IMG]

I know it's not the best picture but it's all I could get. I have no idea what this is but I do know that the only animal that could have done this to him would be another duck (nothing with actual teeth or big claws). I've heard of blood feathers but I don't know much about them. This is right on the end of his body, a little above the vent.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
  3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I would get it cleaned up so you can see where the blood is coming from. If its a blood feather the feather needs pulled out to stop the bleeding.

4. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you all for responding so quickly. I have him a warm bath so I could get all the blood cleaned off and I have no idea what's going on. I have zero experience with this kind of thing. It does look like SOME (more than one) feathers have actually been ripped out but I couldn't find any in the pen. Is it possible that another one of the ducklings pulled them out and then ate them? I know that sounds crazy but I'm not sure what this is. Plus he's still bleeding!

5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    There must be a larger wound.
    Sounds like a predetor got in your enclosure. [​IMG]Ducklings dont do that kind of damage to each other.
    Can you take him to a vet clinic?

6. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    I took some better pictures. A couple have yellow circles, these indicate where the blood is coming from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017

I keep the ducks inside during the night and take them out come daytime. Today, I have an appointment to make so they've been inside. There's no chance that another animal could have gotten to them... so I'm really confused.

I can't take him to a vet right now because of the appointment. Oh I wish I could just reschedule.

8. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    welp I don't think its a prolapse (that's good) is there a puncture? It looks really raw down there

9. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    It looks like maybe a small hole? There isn't a huge amount of blood but it comes so fast after I clean him that I can't get a good look. I don't think the blood is coming from anywhere else though. Does it look like any feathers are missing? I don't know how to tell!

10. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I really can't tell after you bathed it looks like the feathers are stuck down from the water/blood....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by