HELP! Duckling "paralyzed" on left side

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashley9286, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ashley9286

ashley9286 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I purchased some ducklings from Tractor Supply about two weeks ago. They never told me ANY information on how to take care of them and but told me to feed them cracked corn when I asked what they eat. (turns out thats NOT what you feed them) Thursday night they all seemed fine and I woke up and two had died. The last one seemed fine and was walking. I went to work and returned home and noticed he could not stand up on his left leg. He puts weight on his right but just lays there. He eats, drinks and makes all the usual noises. I called Tractor Supply and asked what the problem could be. They didn't really give me any answers. The guy just said they had a "bad batch" and to try feeding it medicated chick feed (which I researched before and found it was TOXIC to ducks). He also told me to purchase Duramycin and add it to his water. The next morning the ducks symptoms didn't improve and I took him to an emergency vet. They didnt know much about ducks and said it may be a virus or vitamin deficiency. They recommended giving it 16 IU's of Vitamin D and that duramycin. I went to tractor supply after the vet visit and told another employee what happened while looking for vitamins to give him. She told me the chicks they have all have a virus called crowns disease? She described the symptoms and it didn't sound like anything mine was experiencing. I called corporate on them and reported them for knowingly selling the sick chicks and ducks. The employee even told me if they come in contact with any other bird it will kill them. Thankfully corporate made them imed. stop selling them. I have been researching online all weekend looking for some help for this poor duckling! He was my favorite out of the group and unfortunately i was not told the proper ways to take care of him. I am hoping this is a vitamin deficiency and he needs Brewer's Yeast. I got him some Sunday morning but don't see any signs of improvement. How long does it usually take? Anyone know if this is most likely the problem? I am having a hard time finding another vet to take him too. But I am very optimistic that since he hasn't passed away yet there is hope and he just needs vitamins.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I hope they are off the cracked corn. You can feed non-medicated chick starter to ducklings, but chick starter does not have the niacin that ducklings need. They need niacin in their diet. I am posting a link that talks about niacin deficiencies. Hope it helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2085511

edited to say: If this duckling is now alone it would be very beneficial for his recovery for you to get another duckling buddy for him. In the meantime, I would put a mirror, feather duster or something that he could snuggle with so he doesn't feel alone. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. ashley9286

Apr 3, 2011
    YES! He is off cracked corn and trust me... I having been giving Tractor Supply HELL for telling me to feed them that. You would think their staff would know what to and not to feed them.

All of the vitamin/GNC stores are closed here on Sundays. The only thing I could find is Pro Pet Brewer's Yeast Daily Supplement. It says it is for dogs and cats but not sure if that makes a difference.

This is exactly what I got:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Pet-W-Garlic-Brewer-s-Yeast-250-ct/10318454

Thank you so much for replying! I have been non-stop with this since Friday evening. I can hardly sleep! Trying to figure out how much time to give him to see signs of improvement. I really hope this duckling makes it!

Speaking of getting him another duckling friend... I am just worried he may have this "virus" that killed off all the chicks and ducks at Tractor Supply. I would hate to put him with another duck and get that one sick. Does this case seem mostly likely like a Niacin deficiency or should I be cautious?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It wasn't a virus. It was the food you were giving them. You have to start out with game bird starter crumbles. It already contains niacin. Then when they get to be about 4-5 months old, switch to game bird grower pellets. again it has niacin.

You have to realize that these ducklings are BABIES and need BABY TYPE food.

You have to research yourself because some "employees" are not well trained in feeding. They are just "clerks" trying to be helpful and sell you something.

I hope it's not too late for your young one. BTW, I get my feed at Agway.

5. ashley9286

Apr 3, 2011
    Can someone help me find a good website/link that talks about how feeding them cracked corn is bad if they are young ducklings?

I can't really find any sites that say do not feed it to ducklings.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck_feeder, from indoorducks.com has posted a detailed explanation of problems with feeding corn.

By the way, niacin capsules from the drugstore work - Storey's Guide recommends 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water until symptoms disappear.

7. ashley9286

Apr 3, 2011
    I noticed today this ducklings right foot is a little swollen. Especially the middle toe. I have already taken him to the vet and they didn't know what to do. Any suggestions? I honestly do not feel that it is broken or anything since two of my other ducklings died.

Current treatment: Stopped feeding cracked corn, he is on a starter now, Pedialyte, Duramycin, Brewer's Yeast and vitamin D.

He is very alert.... eats and drinks well. I thought this was an issue with niacin deficiency because I was only feeding him cracked corn. Is this a common symptom? One leg weak and he wont use it. It's kinda curled in and I see little to no movement in it including his left wing. His poop has always been a running lime green since I have had him. Now it is brown/greyish and less runny.

I really appreciate everyones help!

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    The brownish is normal for the feces, also medicated chick starter (depending on brand and niacin levels) is ok to feed the ducklings. Tractor supply also carry's small packets of electrolytes and vitamins called sav-a-chick that you could put in the water. Another beneficial thing would also be next time your in tractor supply to look in the magazine/book section for storey's guide to raising ducks

another thing, are you sure they said crowns disase

9. ashley9286

Apr 3, 2011
    I am NOT happy with Tractor Supply right now. They told me to feed it medicated chick feed.

Is this 'sav-a-chick' for the leg/foot problem?

10. ashley9286

Apr 3, 2011
    This is what the associate told me. She said the chicks had crowns. I couldnt find any information on what exactly that is but she told me the symptoms the chicks there were having and it didn't match what my duck is having.

I read about antibiotics Tylan(sp?) and baytril(sp?). Anyone know more about this? I am going to take him to another vet tomorrow when I get off work. I've tried almost everything I can do at home... I wish the first vet didn't tell me they had experienced exotic vets that could def see my duck. They didnt know ANYTHING or have any clue about ducks! $75 for an "exam" for NOTHING. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by