Help!!! duckling pipped in middle of side of egg and is going up egg instead of around!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Herducks, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Herducks

Herducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    [​IMG]

It is still alive, they are hatching 3 days early!! Do i help or let it be? I was moving them out of egg turner when I saw, I set it on side since it had pipped in such an odd way, should I set it back upright?

2. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I would try to help it, if you don't it won't make it anyway, most likely. Try to open a small hole for Tito breath and clear it's nostrils so it can breath. I just had one like that this morning. I'm going o check on it right now.

3. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    As long as it is making progress, I say just let it go. It seems to be doing fine and opening the incubator to help can do more harm than good. If it stalls for several hours, then I might be tempted to help.

4. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    I agree if it is still trying then DO NOT HELP you will do more damage if it is working it's way out then it should be fine the work it does to get out of the shell is what makes it strong enough to live after it makes it out if you help it won't get strong on it's own and might die because you helped

5. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

To respectfully disagree if you don't at least help it with a clear air hole it will most likely drown if it is pipped at the wrong end.

Mine made it out on it's own after I opened a hole to make sure it could breathe. And by helping it I mean in no way to help it hatch, just make sure it can breath.

Mine's a little, well not so little chocolate Muscovy. :D

Sending good thoughts for your duckie.

6. Herducks

Herducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    Unfortunatly I was called into work for an emergency and when I got home he had died. I think part of it was that he pipped so early, 3 days, and i did not have the humidity raised for him. He had already pipped when i took him off the egg turner. Another duckling hatched fine, I am not sure why they are hatching this early!

7. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    In the picture it already has a good hole to breathe so that is why I said not to help it I am so sorry to hear about it not making it hope the others do good[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    So sorry about your duckling. [​IMG]Is it possible your temp is a little high?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by