1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, duckling problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PigionLover112, Jun 3, 2016.

1. PigionLover112

PigionLover112 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My duckling hatched and it looked like this, will it service. Is it ok. Please someone help!!!!!!
    When it had hatched fully it's yolk sack was hanging from
    the duckling. I took the egg away and left the duckling to dry off, when it had hatched fully there was blood on the membrane of the egg. The duckling looks ok, other than tired and the whole on its belly, I'm very worried, never had something like this happen. Will it be ok. Please answer soon.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not a hatcher, but it looks like the yolk is not fully absorbed. Keeping it clean and letting it rest is what it needs right now, as far as I can recall from reading.

@dotknott
    @learycow
    @Lacrystol
    @RavynFallen

3. PigionLover112

Jun 3, 2015
    Ok, I'll do that. Will it be ok. I'm just kind of freaking out here. I've never had something like this happen

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Leave it in the bator til that dries up and shrinks... if you have the bare wire mesh in your bator, set in in a cup with paper towel in the bottom... it should be fine, just needs time to finish absorbing that bit of fluid...

1 person likes this.
  5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    keep it in the incubator as long as possible and as undisturbed as possible.

It looks like a little different than un-absorbed yolk, but I'm not sure. :/ The 'bellybutton' isn't bleeding anymore right? It may just need some restful time to heal up, but every instance I've seen of an umbilical wound hasn't had the round thing around the button.

1 person likes this.
  6. PigionLover112

Jun 3, 2015
    There is no fluid to obsorb. Will it shrink and close after the duckling has dried up

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    That puffy ring around the open navel is filled with fluid... it will absorb that, just watch for infection since the navel was open...

8. PigionLover112

Jun 3, 2015
    Ok. Thank you so much. That puts my mind a little bit at ease. So it should be ok?

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Absolutely, barring infection... those open navels are very easy to get infected... just let it rest and absorb and recheck the navel once it perks up...

10. PigionLover112

Jun 3, 2015
    Ok. Thank you. You have helped me a lot. When I saw that I was so worried and thought it was going to die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by