Help. Duckling with curled under foot.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kjkchicks, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kjkchicks

kjkchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Hi. I just hatched out 11 ducklings in the incubator. I think the humidity went too low for the last three, as I actually had to help them hatch out of their shells. Not a decision I made lightly, I don't think they would have made it if I hadn't helped. Two of the ducklings were fine but one had blisters on its bill (which have since healed, or are in the final stages of healing) and a curled under foot. Almost like one if its feet is in a fist. The other foot and leg is completely fine. After a day and a half, the foot became more relaxed but is still bent in a fist and even if I try to straighten it, the middle toe has a bend in it. I am worried that it is developing splay leg on the one leg (only the one) because he/she is unable to grip with that foot. Tries to get around but the one leg just kinda slides out. I don't know If its splay leg or just slipping. Not sure if I should try to make a splint for the splay leg if its even there or for the foot. I tried a splint for the foot using cardboard but it fell off.. Or should I just let it work it out? Maybe it will develop more?

2. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    Other than his leg and foot, he seems completely healthy now. The blisters on the bill were worrying but they seem fine now

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Use vet wrap and make a card board support for the foot. wrap lightly though to keep good circulation and keep them on old clean towels for good footing. or the rubber shelf liner.
    Maybe this will give you some good ideas... https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/ keep us updated on the lil ones.

4. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    I have a cardboard splint on him/her. I'll take it off later tonight and see if its any better

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] keep us updated.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    Sorry, the duckling is still healthy but the leg situation hasn't really improved. The foot straightened out a bit with the splint but its still curled under on one side and the one leg likes to slip backwards making it hard for the duckling to get up. He kinda just squirms Around to get to where he wants to go and once in a while he gets up to a standing position if he gets a proper grip on the ground. It's sad to watch! I tried splinting the two legs together but it didn't do much good. He is a very odd duck. He even has an underbite...

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poor thing, what are you thinking now? do you think he can make it or will he have to have special care all his life? I know there are people who will take on a special care duckling try posting in the rehoming thread if you don't feel your up to the challenge.

9. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    I'll do it... I just don't know how to make his life easier. I feel so bad for him. He's perky and healthy but definitely disabled. I live in Canada so it might be harder to rehome him.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Small pen with soft bedding and a buddy. easy way to get in and out of pool, it is amazing how well they adapt if we help as much as we can. So happy to hear your up for the challenge, as long as you feel he is happy then I'd give him the best he can have. If he's suffering then that different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by