Help! Duckling with eyelid infection

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by autre, Aug 7, 2014.

1. autre

autre New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Hi, one of my friend's baby ducks has eye problem. See picture below (the 3rd one was taken 2 days ago).
    According to their owner, the female one was hurt by a mouse trap on July 28th. Everything seems not so bad (see picture 3). But after they moved to my place for a temporarily stay, the eyelid infection became worse.
    Need help.

-----------------
    After reading tens of posts, I plan to get some terramcin.
    Can I wash her eye with water (the only thing I can get is eye wash for soft contact lens user)? Will nature tear eye drop helps?

Thanks a lot!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I would most definitely bathe that even in just warm water, very gently with a cloth so as not to leave debris. I can get polysporin for eyes here and have used it on ducks amongst other creatures... i would also make sure your friend ensures these babies keep away from harmful items, they are massively curious it's their nature and can be seriously hurt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I have used diluted apple cider vinegar which has worked for us, but we did not have any swelling just a white foamy discharge. Apple cider vinegar is a natural antibacterial liquid. Best wishes with you and the little one.

4. autre

autre New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you for your advise. I will add ACV soon.

Some updates:
    Yesterday, I increased the air flow of their bedding space, and applied Chlortetracycline. Seemed much better.

1 person likes this.
  5. autre

autre New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Yes! That's sooo true!!
    I gently washed the area by cotton swab and applied Chlortetracycline gel (that's the easiest one I can get). Haven't try polysporin before. Thank you for your advise.
    Does it suppose to be applied 2 or 3 times a day and at least 3 days, or 5 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by