Help! Duckling with snotty runny nose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ruledbyzetas, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ruledbyzetas

ruledbyzetas New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    I purchased two Khaki Campbell ducklings from Tractor Supply yesterday and both were healthy and active. This morning, one of them had a lot of clear fluid coming from its nose--it kept trying to shake it off and was breathing through its mouth. I'm not sure what it is, and the only thing I have found over the internet is try giving it a bath as its nose may not be moist enough. So I am about to let it swim in a warm tub for a few minutes and then isolate it, in case the runny nose is infectious. Please help! I've already lost one chick this year and don't want this cute little guy to go. Thanks

2. Dianne1928

Dianne1928 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Stagecoach Nevada
    Do you have a dish of water in there deep enough for them to put their heads under water. That is how they keep their sinus clean.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  3. Dianne1928

Dianne1928 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Stagecoach Nevada
    Also pick up a tetracycline antibiotic from your feed store. It is very effective with sinus infections. Stress can bring it on. Like being shipped to the tractor supply, or going to a new home. You can see if the other ducklings there came down with the same thing.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would start out with making sure they have a safe head washer, if it gets worse over the next few days consider antibiotic, but be sure you get the dosage correct.

Here is a link showing a head washer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by