HELP! Ducklings hatching!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by angi1207, Nov 9, 2013.

1. angi1207

angi1207 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    This is my first time hatching anything. I have bought chicks before but they were about 2 days old. How long should it take for the duck to come out of the shell once it creates a hole in the shell? 1 duckling is out when will it uncurl it's feet and stand up? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 3 more eggs now have a hole and 3 eggs are moving around..

Thanks
    Angi

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    That's a fantastic sign that the eggs are moving around. When they make that hole in the shell it is called a "pip".
    I am no expert, especially in ducks, but I have hatched chicks before.
    It can take a chick up to 24 hours from pipping to hatching, I've had some take less than an hour, while others take much longer. I'd imagine ducks are much similar.

Hopefully somebody with more waterfowl experience will chime in.

Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks take a lot longer than chicks so don't panic sometimes from internal pip to external zip can be 24-36 hrs. give the lil one time to rest and fluff up then you should notice it trying to move around more. And if you have some kind of poultry vitamin you can put some into their water when they begin to drink. some good reading
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. angi1207

Nov 9, 2013
    Thank you so much Sunny & Miss Lydia! I am so nervous about all of this.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Best thing to do is take a deep breathe and try to relax.. Right? lol If one has already hatched with out problems then you have a great chance they all will, just keep the bator closed so humidity doesn't drop or ducklings could become shrink wrapped. Look forward to seeing pics of the lil ones so keep us updated.. and [​IMG]

p.s. there is duck thread here on BYC too. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Waiting for updates [​IMG]

7. angi1207

Nov 9, 2013
    I have 2 ducklings out and dry and doing great! I have 3 that are out but still attached to the veiny yolk sac thing I am very worried about them they should not have hatched yet. Not sure what to do! One hatched very early and has a large umbilical and sac...

8. angi1207

Nov 9, 2013
    P.S. Will try to get pics up soon but my computer is having problems and browser keeps shutting down when I try to upload anything...

9. Chickenwolf

Chickenwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    southeastern Virginia
    I hope the ducklings do okay

Especially the one that hatched prematurely

Crossing my fingers

10. angi1207

Nov 9, 2013
    I moved him from the incubator to the brooder box he was getting cold to the touch and shivering. He is still attached to the egg. I did not detach him I put him in egg and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by