Help!! Ducklng with hard belly!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by megchu, Jun 7, 2016.

1. megchu

megchu Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    So a friend of mine gave me 4 mallard eggs. They've hatched on 1st of Jun. Last night one of them passed away. Today I've noticed that all of their bellies are hard. It's like there is something in their intestines. I can feel something like pebbles. Please help me! I feed them with chick starter since here we don't have duckling starter.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

This can be disturbing to some people, but you should do a necropsy on the deceased one to find out what's in the intestines.

-Kathy

3. megchu

megchu Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016

I can't since my dad threw the body away this morning.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do their bellies feel bloated?

-Kathy

5. megchu

megchu Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    No, it feels like there is some hard mass in it. The two of the ducklings are already good - they started pooping normally. I am concerned about the third one. It has no improvement.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Where is the hard mass located? The gizzard in ducklings is quite large, so maybe that's what you're feeling?

-Kathy

7. megchu

megchu Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    It is on the left, under the ribs.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

That is the gizzard, which you should be able to feel in all of the ducklings.

-Kathy

9. megchu

megchu Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Oh, thank you so much!! I have freaked out it was something wrong with all of them. So now it is only the one with the swollen tummy. It is twice bigger than the others.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Well that's completely different. The large belly could mean that it has a yolk sac infection, which is not usually treatable without the help of a veterinarian.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by