HELP! Ducks are dying during lockdown and I've only got one alive one left!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CreamBruelle, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I'm needing some help. A few weeks ago I put 45 Silkie eggs in lockdown in my incubator I use for hatching. A couple days ago I put 7 call duck eggs I need the hatcher and I candled them today and 6 are dead?!!!??!! I have a humidifier make specifically for incubators and a hygrometer in the incubator. I don't have a thermometer in there at the moment but the incubator has been staying at a steady 99.5 temp. Why did the ducks die?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So what day are the ducks on? If you have no thermometer in there and they suddenly died my guess is a temp spike.

3. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    They are on day 25. Before I candled them they felt cool. I've had others died with over heating of the incubator and they felt hot compared to these

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Thanks for clarifying, I was a little confused since in your first post you said you put them in a couple days ago but now I see you meant in the hatcher a couple days ago :)

I'd put a thermometer in there at least and see what it says, just to check. Let me also tag a friend who hatches a lot of calls and see if she can help.

@RavynFallen

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by