Help! Ducks foot fell off!!

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
Farnam wonder dust wound powder. It’s a blue/dark blue when it gets wet. No discharge and it smelled fishy (it smelled a lot like when my chicken had MG and the smell of its eye) but now not as much of a smell. I thought gangrene would have turned her foot gray then spreads then would have stayed that color for a bit before coming off? Her foot also has a little bit of scabs above the wound. Can she get gangrene after it falls off? What is the cause? And what do I do to help it? Is there anything I can do at home for her?
Thanks for all of your help!!
From what I can find, the powder is black, so that definitely can be why its dried on black. I wonder if you should use neosporin and wrap the foot? The wound powder seems to have drying characteristics.

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Premium Feather Member
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
Farnam wonder dust wound powder. It’s a blue/dark blue when it gets wet. No discharge and it smelled fishy (it smelled a lot like when my chicken had MG and the smell of its eye) but now not as much of a smell. I thought gangrene would have turned her foot gray then spreads then would have stayed that color for a bit before coming off? Her foot also has a little bit of scabs above the wound. Can she get gangrene after it falls off? What is the cause? And what do I do to help it? Is there anything I can do at home for her?
Thanks for all of your help!!
She can most definitely get gangrene after it falls off. Gangrene is the death of tissue caused by lack of blood flow and a bacterial infection. Her foot falling off is the perfect recipe for gangrene. The only treatment is antibiotics and that's if caught early enough. Regardless this type of wound requires antibiotics and is at a very high risk of becoming necrotic if it isn't already.

NorthwoodsChick

Songster
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
The black looks like "Dry Gangrene" the tissue turns hard and black. It will only continue to spread and decay without treatment.
Second that. The black edges are dead. The black patches, called eschar, is like a scab but looking at the ascending pattern I suspect there is devitalized tissue under the eschar. This will spread and she may lose the whole foot. She really needs a vet to debride the wound surgically and salvage what can be saved.

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
So the two options I’m hearing are either it’s gangrene and it’s life threatening or it’s just color from the wound powder and it’s nothing..those are two totally different things with totally different outcomes. I am going to call the vet today(idk if they even take ducks) and see what they say. The color hasn’t spread at all since her foot came off. I am noticing she doesn’t sleep in her house anymore. Her and and her best friend (the other hen) keep each other warm at night in this corner by the duck house but she doesn’t want to go in it. There was a lot of blood in it when her foot first came off. Maybe that’s where it happened and she remembers or something..? Well I’ll call the vet today and see what they say/ if I should bring her in.
Thanks.🙂

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Premium Feather Member
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
So the two options I’m hearing are either it’s gangrene and it’s life threatening or it’s just color from the wound powder and it’s nothing..those are two totally different things with totally different outcomes. I am going to call the vet today(idk if they even take ducks) and see what they say. The color hasn’t spread at all since her foot came off. I am noticing she doesn’t sleep in her house anymore. Her and and her best friend (the other hen) keep each other warm at night in this corner by the duck house but she doesn’t want to go in it. There was a lot of blood in it when her foot first came off. Maybe that’s where it happened and she remembers or something..? Well I’ll call the vet today and see what they say/ if I should bring her in.
Thanks.🙂
Unless there was a formula chance, I highly doubt it's the farnam wonder dust. We use to use it for just about everything back on the farm and I never once saw it turn black. Dark blue/purply yes, but never once black.

Top Bottom