Help! Ducks having episodes:(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rebecca JL, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Rebecca JL

Rebecca JL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I have 4 female ducks about 10 months old(full grown) who have started having episodes in the past month. One black Swedish and 3 “white layers.” It has only happened to 3 of the 4, but they seem to stand tall as if getting ready to stretch their wings, but then they sort of fall over and use their wings as balance as they walk to find a safe place to lay down. They sort of look drunk. The butt seems to curl under which almost looks like they’re having a Charlie horse, and they rest for a minute or so. If I pick them up when I see it is happening, they gladly rest in my arm. Their appetite is perfect before and after and once I put them back on the ground after 30 seconds or so they walk away like nothing happened.
    I feed them Purina layer feed for fowl, every few days I’ll throw in some oyster shells for calcium, they get greens and fruits regularly. I saw a previous post about someone who had a similar issue that persisted and someone suggested activated charcoal in their water so I have done that and it didn’t seem to help the situation at all. It is happening more frequently as time goes on. They free range in the yard when we are home and have a large pen with a heat lamp in one end just in casies, and a house that they hardly use. I live in NJ so I’m not sure if it has something to do with the cold? However we had a 60 degree day last week and it happened then too:(

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you notice that this happens after they have been free ranging? Any chance they are getting into something while out that they shouldn't be?

Bridger Davis and rjohns39 like this.
  3. Rebecca JL

Dec 9, 2017
    We notice it the most when they are on our back deck which doesn’t really have anything on it at all. And some days it seems they don’t dry off after a swim but of course that wasn’t the case when I took my black Swedish to the vet and her gland looked fine. I am trying some vitamins in their water tonight and plan on buying some sand to cover the bottom of their pen in case it could be something in the soil.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Rebecca and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya I wish it were under better circumstances:hugs Can you take a picture of the feed label for us?

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    WVduckchick, casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome Cool.gif

Can you post a video of this happening?

WVduckchick and rjohns39 like this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Are they laying eggs yet?

Pyxis, casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    X2

When you mention you're adding oyster shell, do you mean offering it on the side free choice? Or mixing it into their feed so they have to eat it?

WVduckchick and rjohns39 like this.
  9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    X3

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. Rebecca JL

Dec 9, 2017
    I add the oyster shell right to the feed so they have to eat it. They have each been laying 1 per day since June/July.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by