HELP! Duck's new enclosure...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pet Duck Boy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey all...my parents finally blew their caps off. Sunny, my female pekin always stayed in the padio. Which has no screening.
    She's pooped to many times in front of the door, and my parents won't allow her to roam our yard freely anymore. My dad set up a small area for her enclosed with chicken wire. She only has about 100 feet to herself, which I'm afraid isn't enough for her. My parents say it's either that, or we get rid of her.
    And by "get rid of her" my parents mean drop her of at the local park!! I know for a fact she'll never survive out there, she doesn't even know how to forage.
    She's doing her I want company now quack: "Quuacck! Quacck! QUACCCKKK! Quack quack quack quack!"

She's pacing back and forth, looking for a way out. Will she be okay? Or am I just worrying too much...?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Is she a lone duck? She needs a companion but if that is not possible, she will get used to being enclosed. Does she have a house of sorts like a dog house to get inside? You are going to have to help her acclimate to the new environment but spending time with her and so forth...let her know it is okay...Ducks do not like change and it takes them time to adjust

3. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Yes she is a lone duck. [​IMG]
    She has a little dog carrier that she sleeps in at night in there. She's somewhat calmed down now...
    I'll spend as much time in there with her as possible.

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    She needs a duck friend. They are very social animals and since you can't be close to her 24/7 she needs a friend that can be.

5. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    my parents are exactly the same! i have 2 runners in a run that is about 20 square foot, and my parents say they cant have more space! they told me to let them out of the run to mooch around the garden but i have paving so it would hurt their feet [​IMG]

6. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    But the problem is she hates everything already but me, I guess she looks at me as her mate.
    She had a brother, but he didn't make it. I also live in a suburban neighborhood. While they do allow chickens and ducks, they can't be loud.
    Sunny isn't being loud right now actually. She's calm now...preening herself. But I'd imagine she's lonely. I only have ducklings available to me.
    Should I buy one and raise it up? Or would it be too late by then. She doesn't fare too well with other animals...

7. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    aww her brother didnt make it [​IMG] that is so sad [​IMG]

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    she might be depressed? can ducks get depression?

9. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    get her some prozac [​IMG]

10. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah....her brother was always weak. Just wasn't ment to be. [​IMG]
    Here's a vid of them when they were 5 days old. Sunny is the more brightly colored one. (Hence the name, Sunny)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by