1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP...ducks were attacked by dog and need immediate advice!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by team muff, Dec 12, 2013.

1. team muff

team muff New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Our ducks were attacked by the neighbors dog last night, one did not make it. Our other lady has a puncture wound in the left breast/wing area. We took her to the bet and they dressed the wound and reported it seemed she would "do fine". She has been struggling to walk and the right side of her body is much closer to the ground than her left. She has also been breathing very heavily since we brought her home last night, and has a hard time drinking the antibiotic water. Does anyone have advice on how to help her more? It is so hard to see her struggle, and I don't think the vet provided us with accurate information on her recovery.

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I'm so sorry! I had my flock attacked by dogs last summer and it was difficult to see them wounded. One of my chickens got bitten in the back by her vent and her rear was basically ripped open. I took her to the vet and they said I should put her down but I just couldn't do it so after researching on here and talking to people at the feed store, I bought a spray called Vetricyn at the feed store. It was amazing! Within a day or 2 the whole hole scabbed over and my chicken Pearl seemed to be much more comfortable. The scab fell off after a couple weeks. Pearl went on to live happily. I still use it on my chickens when they have cuts and scrapes and even spray it on my own wounds and hangnails, etc. It works great! Hopefully you can find it locally (check tack and feed shops) or maybe you can order it online. Good luck!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Ducks are a lot more resilient then chickens if you duck can walk she
    just needs to rest for a week or so and you will be surprised in the
    next 3 or 4 days just give her any med's the Vet sold you and waiting
    is the hardest part to any recovery ..........[​IMG]

P.S. [​IMG]

gander007

4. team muff

team muff New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Duck update: after consulting with the vet, she realized that Fiona had a punctured air sack. She was at the vet in the oxygen chamber and getting calcium treatments. We brought her home on Saturday. She is breathing better and is able to float again. The walking is a slow process, but she is doing much better! We now need to find her some ducklings or maybe an adult gal pal within the next month. She still cries at night sometimes for him and it is so hard and sad. We know she misses him as much as we do. For now, we'll have her inside with supervised outside time. She should make a full recovery soon.

We live in Flagstaff, AZ, and if anyone (even NM, NV or CA) has ducklings or a female duck friend to spare it would be much appreciated. We have a mirror and stuffed animals in there now for her, which are helping, but we want to get her a new friend ASAP for Moran support and comfort. Thanks again!!

5. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Such a sad story, hope you find a companion soon. My cockerel was attacked by a dog and it was pitiful to see him looking so damaged and ill. I kept treating him and was delighted to hear his first weak crow after a few days. After two weeks he managed to get up onto the tree branch where he normally goes at night. I could have cracked open a bottle of champagne that day if I'd had one!

6. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I'm glad to hear your duck is doing much better! I hope she gets a companion soon. Ducks get so attached to each other. Sounds like you and your vet are taking good care of her. Have you looked on craigslist for a duck? I know that's probably where I would look around here. All the best!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Glad to see you are trying with your ducks recovery and floating
    is a good sign of the road to recovery, the mirror is a great idea
    but ducks are a communal animal and X2 on craigslist for looking
    for a new friend .........

gander007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by