**Help! Dura Trough Feeders vs Little Giant for Mash?**

chickerdoodle

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Oregon
I have 5 healthy 9 week old pullets. One of them has a cross-beak who can eat great now but most likely will need a deep trough to continue to do well. I also am going to start them on a locally sourced organic mash which doesn't come in pellets or crumbles. The issue is that my hanging feeder (plastic Little Giant 11 lb) doesn't seem to work well with the chick starter crumbles they are getting now (I currently top off the tray in the AM) and I highly doubt using mash will be any better--if not worse. It just doesn't fill the tray enough for her if she has to shovel food into her beak as it has been getting progressively worse.
sad.png
I also need the feeder to be able to hold more than a days worth of food as we take 4 vacations a year and the housesitter would prefer to feed them every other day if possible. The metal troughs you can buy everywhere are not as wide or deep as the Dura Trough and they also have sharp edges which I do not like. These are PETS that will "donate" eggs so culling is not an option unless she cannot eat on her own. Please check links and offer your opinion!

Little Giant hanging feeder
: http://www.scruggsfarm.com/ZoomImage.aspx?productID=330PHF11
Dura feed Trough: http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/feeders_trough.php

So my questions are:
1. Do you have either of these feeders?
2. If so, do you like them?
3. Do you feed mash?
4. Any thoughts on either type?
5. Any ideas for a good feeder?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
smile.png

Quote:
Do you feed mash? I wonder if the metal feeders would work for mash as the plastic Little Giant I have is not very good for it.

A.T. Hagan :

I've got Little Giant hanging feeders in all of my tractors. I like them better than any other feeder I've tried so far.

Do you use the plastic or metal ones? Do you feed mash? I would love it if it did!​

I use the metals ones and I presently feed crumbles, but have fed mash in the past when I was having my feed custom mixed. They work well for the purpose once your get them adjust properly and at the right height. You want the lip of the feeder to be just a bit above the height of their backs so they have to reach up slightly to get at the feed.

Back
Top Bottom