HELP Dx idk wht this is???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffychickens6, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    umm so there is this weird little scab like thing on Omelet's (the yellowish one.... buff orpington) comb.... (u can see it in the last 2 photos)... towards the back of her comb
    any idea wht it is and if i should worry abt it? She's always been the clumsy one and jumping around on stuff and running into walls.... is it possible she hurt herself or did Mocha (the brown one in the background) happen to do this??? i dont think Mocha would do that.... shes very kind towards her and me... shes always been the kind one....
    idk wht to do >-<
    srry for bad photos Dx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Really it looks like she got pecked! (Unless there is something or some place sharp that she got her head into.) They probably had a disagreement about something and buffs are usually the bullied not the bully.[​IMG]

3. Fluffychickens6

Aug 17, 2014
    I see.... thank you! she does run along the inner part of the coop which is wired cuz she wants to get out and play.... i let them out as soon as i walk outside (in the morning) they only start doing that when they see me.... could that b why? but if that was the case shouldnt the front part of her comb b lyk that?
    should i do anything abt it or let it heal on its own?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You could put a little triple antibiotic w/o pain killer on it. The hens may have had their row at any angle, including the brown one mounting the buff, not sexual, just dominant. They just get their pecks in where they can so where she got pecked on the comb isn't important, the message is what counts. Hopefully they worked it out and it won't happen too often. Actually from your pic, the "brown one" looks like a RIR or some such. If it is, they are bossy/aggressive and the buff, though a slightly larger bird, is good natured and accommodating.I always have both kinds and the RIRs rule the house! My avitar pic is a RIR.

5. Fluffychickens6

Aug 17, 2014
    are there any natural ways for healing? also.... i've noticed the "wound?" has become darker in color.... does that mean its healing on its own or is that darkening in color saying its getting worse?

The "brown one" is a RIR... she's normally extremely nice and it seems lyk my buff is the meaner one???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by