Help Dying Chick!

Lilmermaid9109

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Please help me, one of my chicks is dying. She is lethargic, has a slight case of pasty butt (which I've kept on top of, cleaning her off). I have fed her some raw egg yolk and water with electrolytes and probiotics in it. I lost another chick earlier this morning, found her dead with her butt pasted over just after I woke up. Please, I just can't lose another one. They are all 3 and 4 days old and this is my first time hatching them myself. I just changed the beeding and cleaned out waterer and feeder. I don't know what else to do....

Last edited:
Please help me, one of my chicks is dying. She is lethargic, has a slight case of pasty butt (which I've kept on top of, cleaning her off). I have feed her some raw egg yolk and water with electrolytes and probiotics in it. I lost another chick earlier this morning, found her dead with her butt pasted over just after I woke up. Please, I just can't lose another one. They are all 3 and 4 days old and this is my first time hatching them myself. I just chafed the beefing and cleaned out waterer and feeder. I don't know what else to do....
Do they have enough heat? Are they taking there naps? Are they eating and drinking?

Do they have enough heat? Are they taking there naps? Are they eating and drinking?
I have turned up the heat in the brooder to about 93 (it's still climbing) I think it was sitting at about 85/86 before. I had it higher, but they seemed to be getting too hot (panting). So I have changed the configuration of the heat lamps in hopes that it will help. Just waiting on the temp to ride now.

They all seem to be acting normally with the exception of the sick one. They are all napping (including her), eating and drinking seem to be normal. She is not wanting to eat or drink as much as usual, so I have been helping her along. I don't have an eye dropper, any advice on how to better feed/ water her by hand?

At 3 days old chicks need a temp of 95-97. It's likely with the 85-86 degree temps they got chilled. I would bump up the temperature (make sure they have room to move to a cooler side if they wish) and keep giving electrolytes. I'll tag some others here to assist as well.

@sourland
@azygous
You are doing the right thing by warming her up. Plus making sure they have a cooling area.
Check her crop and make sure its not to hard. Hand feed her scrambled egg ( not raw).
Dip your finger into save-a-chick and drip it into her beak. Open it if you have too for the water and food. Use a damp cotton ball to stimulate and keep her butt clean to keep her pooping.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!
YOUR A GOOD CHICKEN MAMA!!

Post a picture of your set up and her and her poop if you can. Don't stress her out too much by bugging her too much.
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

You are doing the right thing by warming her up. Plus making sure they have a cooling area.
Check her crop and make sure its not to hard. Hand feed her scrambled egg ( not raw).
Dip your finger into save-a-chick and drip it into her beak. Open it if you have too for the water and food. Use a damp cotton ball to stimulate and keep her butt clean to keep her pooping.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!
YOUR A GOOD CHICKEN MAMA!!

Post a picture of your set up and her and her poop if you can. Don't stress her out too much by bugging her too much.
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Thank you so much for your help 😭 here's a picture of the setup. Temp in hottest part is about 93 degrees. She's the black one under the light. Her poop is white and runny/ sticky and I keep it wiped off.
I think it would be impossible to get her to eat scrambled egg since she doesn't really want to eat much anyway. Can't open her beak so I put some raw yolk on the end of a dull metal skewer and carefully dribble it into the end of her beak until it bugs her and she swallows. Then I dip her beak into the treated water and let her swallow a few times.

Attachments

• 20210404_182120.jpg
    20210404_182120.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom