HELP dying chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattgal, Dec 6, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    One of my chicks made it out of the nestbox into the coop
    he is still alive, show's no sign of injuries. I put him under the lamp inside where he can be undisturbed
    will he make it? What can I do?

[​IMG]

ETA: as you can see he is very weak, he is still moving (very little) and appears to be panting, he chirped a little earlier too

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If he is panting, it sounds like he's hot-make sure, since he can't move much, that the heat lamp isn't too hot in the spot he's laying.
    I would also give him some electrolytes in the water to try to help strengthen him.
    Good luck with your little one.

3. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:are you sure? he was panting like that before I put him under the lamp.... I almost wondering if he spent the night out in the main coop. It's warmer tha normal here for this time of year but still way too cool for a chick to be alone (~40)
    how long can a chick go without heat?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Was the chick under a broody, then? Believe I'd put it back and let them sort it out. That young, it certainly needs a mama, or else a bunch of other chicks.

And good luck.

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    All night would be rough on a chick but you don't know how cold it was, it could have been nestled up to another hen. I assume the 40 is F, right? Mine are out quite a while and we are in a cold snap, like 23 low and 45 high, but they are running around, of course.

I have a broody pen for mamas and new babies. This one hatched them in a high nest and I moved her during the hatch (couldn't do it when she was setting, she abandoned the eggs and flew over the pen wall -- needs work.)

Hope the chick makes it. Is it possible it got very hungry and thirsty?

6. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Well I'm embarrassed now to have panicked
    the chick just bounced right back. I wouldn't say 100% but enough to send him back under mom.
    I was afraid the hen would have seen him as weak and finished him off. I went in and checked on the rest of them while the little guy was recuperating and two more had made it out
    So I put them in a safer place until they are big enough

a safe pen I had made to protect the silkies when they were being picked on, perfect for my broody and her chicks
    [​IMG]

7. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Wonderful! Glad the little gal is feeling better!

8. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:It's possible but I don't think so. Seeing how soon he picked up under the lamp and nothing else I think he just got cold, I'm just stunned the other hens did not kill him. even if he spent the night out Hubby turns on the light at 6am and I checked in around 7:30 so there was lot's of time for the other hens to peck at him
    yes I meant 40F (5C)

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So glad things turned out well! I've raised them in with the flock -- but you just never know.

One time a mama got killed when her babies were maybe a week old, and her sister then took over the mothering, and another hen was helping. My roos have always protected the chicks, but I've read they can kill them, too.

Maybe it was mourning no mama or siblings as much as it was cold.

10. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:that could very well be

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by