1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help dying chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by knboulay, Feb 14, 2013.

1. knboulay

knboulay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My chick seems to be gasping for air I don't know what to do

2. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Is it hot? Is it acting lethargic and laying on the floor? Can you hear it wheezing? Any more info would be helpful. Also can you take a quick video and post it so others can see and help out.

3. knboulay

Jan 16, 2011
    Massachusetts
    i do not believe the chick is to hot. She is 2 days old i recieved 15 chicks from meyers yesterday one of my ee was doa, this is a second one in distress and my third ee seems weak as well. she cant hold her body up, wont open her eyes, and is just very much struggling i have added poly vi sol and sugar to the water, im out of ideas. I will try posting a video

4. knboulay

Jan 16, 2011
    Massachusetts

5. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I'm really sorry to hear about (and see) you'r chick behaving like this. One of my chicks once got attacked by a large hen just hours after it hatched. Then I brought it in and it gasped for air like you'r but didn't move. I tried feeding it some sugar water but I think it might have drowned because of it. I hope I didn't kill it but it didn't look like it was going to make it so I tried everything. Be careful if you give it anything liquid is the lesson I learned. It might just be one of those chicks that have a defect and die soon after hatching. It's very sad but just happens sometimes. I really hope you'r chick gets better and lives. Good luck!

6. Lerette Hens

Lerette Hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Are you giving them the vitamins that go in their water.. If so how much.. Mine did the same thing I was giving the too much and it was over dosing them.. I was able to save 1 of 5 and that was only because he didn't start the gasping for air yet.. Also if they have a lot of build up on their bottoms it needs to be cleaned. They can get an infection from all the build up and even shut down their intestines if not cleaned soon enough.. I hope this helps..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by