Help! Dying chick?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowgirlup07, Mar 14, 2015.

1. cowgirlup07

cowgirlup07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    I keep finding the same chick on its side near death, this started the day I got them. The chick is 10 days old as of today. Once I put her back on her feet she eats and drinks but this is happening every other day. I'm really worried we will loose the poor little thing. Is there anything else I can do to help this baby pull through?? If it helps, she's a New Hampshire Red. HELP!

2. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    How long have you had them? How do you know she is dying? Maybe she is just sleeping and looks like she is dying. Are they staying warm enough? Try adding some vitamins and electrolytes to their water.

3. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    I've had them since the 5th. She has lost weight, the other 16 have gained and grown around twice her size, all hatched the same day. I've put 2 feeders in now thinking that she may not have been getting enough to eat, it's the purina medicated chick starter. She ate a little but the others kept pushing this one out of the food. Put electrolytes in the water their 1st, 3rd and 5th days here like I was instructed to do, kept regular water available as well. Her feet and wings seem to be the same temp as the other chicks but when I put her back on her feet, her feet legs and wings are like ice even if she's directly under the brooder lamp. I just found her like this again when I got up. (I work nights) but this time she was twitching with her head/neck arched and 1 leg extended. The 1st day she was home the other chicks ran her over, I thought I got to her in time but now I'm thinking I didnt. She's always laying exactly how the 1 chick in my RIR bunch was when I found her dead, I found that one under all of her friends too. I've made sure to double check my brooder sizes found the amount of chicks, the RIR chicks started in the same one. There was 20 of them only 17 of the New Hampshires. I guess she could be sleeping, I'm not sure. Just really worried.

4. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    She seems to still be doing good again so hopefully we are over this hump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by