Help! Dying chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rosto, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Rosto

Rosto Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    I bought my dad an assortment of Polish,Cochins, Orloffs, and Guineas for Father's Day. He received them in August. So, they are about three-four months old. This morning he found one Cochin and two Orloffs dead. The remaining birds are listless, fluffed up, and eyes shut. They do not seem to be eating or drinking this morning. One of the Cochins had liquid dripping from its mouth when he picked it up to examine. They are all clustered together under their heat lamp. Any ideas to save these guys? They mean a lot to him!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    You definitely want to keep them warm. Are they in an outdoor coop? If so what are the temps like?

How many birds are there? If possible I would probably try to bring them inside, they sound cold and they need to stay toasty. See if you can tempt them to eat by offering some scrambled egg (don't use non-stick pans if the birds are in the house though).

Do they have any facial swelling? Are they sneezing or otherwise do they have a stuffed up nose? Any heavy breathing? Does their poop look normal? Share any symptoms that they may have. Have there been any changes to their environment (new birds, chemicals used to clean the coop, etc..)?

3. Rosto

Dec 15, 2010
    They are housed in a nice coop. The bedding is straw. We haven't changed our food brand, and they are given fresh water daily. Another died a few minutes ago.

4. Rosto

Dec 15, 2010
    There is no wheezing or signs of illness other than being cold and fluffed feathers.

5. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    nvm i saw the fathers day so they are not still chicks.

6. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    How does their poop look?

Only 3 months old so still could have chick related problems like coccidia.

7. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Just a curious question why cant you use non stick pans if the chickens are inside? And i hope op your father hens feel better.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I agree with Sonya9....any blood in their poop ?

9. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    They are young still, and if their feathers are puffed out they're probably too cold. What are your temperatures like right now where you are?

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Fluffed feathers are so symptomatic of cocci...can you get them some amprolium (corrid) to treat them...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by