Help: Ear Infections won't go away

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Some of you read about my Muscovy Drake's ear infection a while back. well everyone was getting to free rnage 24/7 and so he was bathing constantly in the creek...the ear was finally looking better, almost completely healed up, I could see down inside his ear and everything, there was just a bit of dry gunk left.

We had a pack of Coyotes wandering around so everyone got put back in the pens and have been there for the last 2 days. I am sure all you duck keepers know how hard it is to keep pools clean and especially hard with 19 ducks & freezing weather. I checked his ear today and it was TERRIBLE, draining and smelly. i got a lot of stuff out of it and put a couple ear drops in and sent him on his way to the creek with the others. [​IMG]

The Vet determined it was a yeast infections so the drops are for just that, i did oral(water) meds, but neither seemed to help much. the clean creek water is what reall seems to do it but I am not able to let him free range constantly, what can i do for him?? has anyone ever dealt with a stubborn ear infection like this before?

Also, his sisters left ear fully cleared up while they were free ranging, hers wasn't quite as bad as his though.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I wonder if you can use veterinary ear powder on ducks?

I have always had English Springer Spaniels. With the long floppy ears and thick fur, they are very prone to outer and middle ear infections, especially yeast infections due to the warm, moist environment and ear wax.

Ear Powder is a real godsend. It is cheap, easy to use, available at any pet store and even the pet departments of many major chain stores like Target and Wal-Mart. Most brands contain Iodoform as the active ingredient, although some use Boric Acid. From my experience, the Iodoform version works much better, so I avoid buying the other type.

This product treats active infections, but for the best results, it really needs to be used every few days (on dogs, anyway) to prevent infections.

I didn't know about this stuff when I had my first Springer back in the 1970's and 1980's, and he was always going to the vet for ear infections. When I got my second springer, I found this product at the pet store, and believe me, I've never been without it. By using it regularly every 4-5 days, my dogs almost NEVER get an ear infection. If they do, cleaning the ear with something like Oti-Clens, another veterinary ear product, followed by the ear powder, takes care of the infection.

On a duck, because the ear would be full of water often, I'd think you'd have to put it in there at least once a day, since it would wash out.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2282

http://www.dog.com/item/r-7-ear-powder-dog-and-cat/210104/

Oti-Clens is another really good product. It has a lot of essential oils of herbs in it, and smells nice. It helps to clean out the "gunk" and kills bacteria.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Oti+Clens+Cleaning+Solution-prod10161.html

Honestly, I don't know WHY you couldn't use these products on your duck -- I can't imagine there is anything special about avian biology that would preclude their use. You might check with your vet first and see. But basically, these are pretty simple anti-microbial agents that should be both universally safe and effective, I would think.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Another thought -- if you can't give him access to creek at all times due to predator fears, could you somehow "make" an artificial creek for him by using a pond filter and circulating pump to filter and clean the water? Also, what about adding just a little bleach to the bathing water -- that would kill bacteria and fungi on contact as well. It doesn't have to be a lot -- at the levels commonly found in municipal drinking water it would probably be effective, and that is safe enough to drink or bathe in, even in contact with ears and eyes.

You can get various kinds of circulating pumps, pond filters, and water purifiers at major garden centers and home centers, and from many places online. Stores that specialize in catering to koi and goldfish fanciers carry many things along these lines.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pond-supplies/pond-filter/ps/c/5163/5186

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pond-supplies/pond-water-pump/ps/c/5163/5164

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know about ducks with ear infections but when my dog had yeast infection my vet said to use vinegar and water and put into ear. the vinegar kills the yeast.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you for these suggestions, i will check them out although I don't know how effective the powder will be. I also know that the apartment complex I work for uses Boric Acid to kill Roaches so I don't think I would want to use anything like that on the birds. I was thinking of setting up something to circulate the water for him but it's been freezing hard here so their pools are all frozen every night & i have to break them open in the mornings.

Miss Lydia: Is it Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar? I will try it for him & his sister, she still has a little gunk in one of her ears.

Quote:

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am pretty sure it was apple cider vinegar. If you have the one with mother in it it would be better because it has all the good stuff. ACV will kill yeast and if your drake doesn't have the yeast it would still be beneficial. Just add a tiny bit of water but actually it's not needed unless you notice the ear being aggravated by it. The vinegar is strong but it will help, also my own dr. recommended Peroxide for cleaning out the ear canal, so you might try it a couple of times, that I wouldn't do more than twice because it is so strong. Hope it helps and he feels better soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by