Help!! Early hatch duck is having hard time!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CLJuli, Apr 26, 2017.

1. CLJuli

CLJuli New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    Help! My duck hatched too soon!! I removed him from the incubator so I wouldn't open it anymore, but he hatched because one open to rotate eggs and he got shrink wrapped. He is an early hatch, so I didn't expect him! What can I do to help him? I have him in a hand towel against my chest and he is making noise so seems ok, but I don't know what to do about his belly! Please help!

2. PaiselyPaxton

PaiselyPaxton Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    if you have a heating lamp put him under it or keep him warm. coming out so soon and being exposed to air can make him cold. he should be kept at about 90 degrees. they shouldn't be eating duck food until a little bit. they may need water but i'm not positive. i dont know about the belly

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

How is the Duckling doing?.....That is his yolk and it should absorb and dry up...I hope you kept it warm...

Best wishes...

1 person likes this.
  4. CLJuli

CLJuli New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Thank you! So far so good! I got him back in his incubator before I went to bed and this morning he was on the opposite side, and his belly looks a bit better. When should I offer water? He is a fighter!

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Set up a brooder with a heat lamp and use paper towels till he gets a couple more days old and his belly heals..Then use pine shavings...He can eat and drink today ...Wet his food to a soupy mix the first few days and provide dry feed too.....

Best wishes..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by