1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Early symtoms of Wry neck?? Edit: GETTING WORSE!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey guys.
    I have a 3 week old chick that is doing this strange head bobbing thing, and i'm wondering if it's Wry neck. She is absiloutley fine otherwise. Here's a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru_R-_APrpk

Do
    you think so?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't think so. Looks like she's just trying to figure her body out. If it starts to tilt, she starts to walk in circles/backwards.. Than you start to wonder. she looks fine to me [​IMG]

ETA: I am such a worry-wort with my chickens as well.. [​IMG] every post I read makes me worry more and more! Though all my chickens are very healthy [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    kinda looks like regurgitating not wry neck but I could be wrong. how often does it happen?

4. aoxa

Watched it again. My hens do this if their crop is too full. If they've eaten too much and are trying to grind up their food in their crops (not sure of a better way to put this). Do you give them grit?

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:It happens a lot. Never when she's tired though. It's always when she is really actice.

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:No, i don't give them grit. Maybe that's it! I don't have any grit right now and my mom probably won't go and get some until we need more food... which will be a while. Can i give them oyster shells? Just a thought! [​IMG]

7. aoxa

Quote:No, i don't give them grit. Maybe that's it! I don't have any grit right now and my mom probably won't go and get some until we need more food... which will be a while. Can i give them oyster shells? Just a thought! [​IMG]

It's not the same thing, but you can make grit out of regular gravel hammered to a small size. This helps digest the food. My young silkie was having this problem as well. I just brought them home on Wednesday, and she's better now after getting a bit of grit [​IMG] You can mix it in with their feed, or put in a separate bowl all together.

Feel her crop. Does it feel large and hard? Keep her monitored. Check to see if it empties overnight. Crop problems can be severe if left untreated. Do you feed anything other than chick starter?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you put some dirt or sand in a bowl for her to get grit from? Don't feed her anything but chick starter until you buy some chick grit. When they are about 8 weeks old you move up to regular grit, but when they are on dirt in the barnyard they usually get it in the soil.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas

It's not the same thing, but you can make grit out of regular gravel hammered to a small size. This helps digest the food. My young silkie was having this problem as well. I just brought them home on Wednesday, and she's better now after getting a bit of grit [​IMG] You can mix it in with their feed, or put in a separate bowl all together.

Feel her crop. Does it feel large and hard? Keep her monitored. Check to see if it empties overnight. Crop problems can be severe if left untreated. Do you feed anything other than chick starter?

Ummm, she's just a baby so i don't know if what i'm feeling is large for her size or not. It is hard though.

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok, i got some chick grit and mixed it into thier food. I'll let you know if it gets better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by