**HELP** Easter Egger has broken beak!!!**UPDATED WITH PICS**

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Last week I noticed that one of my almost 17 week old easter egger had what seemed like the top layer of the upper beak off. It just had a 'thin' half of the upper beak , but all seemed ok and I thought I read somewhere that they do grow back. Well, just now I went out to give the girls some scraps, and her beak is bleeding. Now the thin part is gone a little bit. What should I do? Will she still be able to eat? Should I clean the wound? Will the beak grow back???? I don't know how this happened. Maybe she got caught in the poultry netting somehow. Please help. She is my favorite EE.

Last edited:
definetly seperate her put her in a warm area till someone comes on here and helps you maybe posting a picture would help also other then that all i can do is pray shell be ok!!!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
ok I went out to take a few pics and noticed it had already clotted, but here it is: What do you all think???
38676_chicken_pics_088.jpg

38676_chicken_pics_090.jpg

38676_chicken_pics_089.jpg

I know they might be a little blurry, hopefully you can see it well enough. Thanks. Kerry

Yep, she's broken the tip of her beak off. I would seperate her until it grows back so she doesn't injure herself further and bleeds out.

Yes, I said until it grows back, it will....
smile.png

Aww
sad.png
But actually its not so bad. i think it will fall off. I though, dont think it will grow back. But shell probably be eating in a few days and a few weeks be eating with the rest of the gang

Are you SURE it will grow back? Do you think she can eat??? She seems fine otherwise. She is always with only 2 other EE's as we haven't been able to integrate them totally with our original flock. They have their own run and inside coop. Anything else I should do....????

It will probably grow back, but may not be as pretty as the others. It may be a bit misshapen as it grows, and you may need to dremmel it occasionally if it grows to one side or the other, or overgrows. If it doesn't grow back- she will still probably do ok. The commercial debeaking done to layers is more severe than this. If you are concerned whether she is getting enough to eat- start feeling her crop at night to make sure she is filling it up before going to roost & weight her weekly- make sure she is getting bigger, not smaller (skinnier). You can offer her warm mash of her pellet or crumble with some tasty scrambled egg mixed in for treat so you can watch her eat it in front of you- so you can make sure she can eat.

I had a bunch of de-beaked chickens once. I got them from an egg farm. They had been kept in small cages and had their beaks trimmed back just like in the picture, to keep them from pecking each other. The beaks didn't grow back, but then again, they didn't have any trouble eating, either.

Back
Top Bottom