Help! Easter Egger hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SwedishDude99, Mar 3, 2014.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Here he/she is. (Hoping it's a she)

:fl[​IMG]

2. Chicka and Co

Chicka and Co Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    Australia
    Bit hard to tell from the angle of the photo. Do you have a photo of he/she side on so you can see the legs?

3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I don't but I'll go take one

4. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    [​IMG]

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    That's a dark red for a ee pullet to have, I'm going rooster.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I have to agree with this. For now Im going with rooster.

EE roosters will typically have a splotchy pattern and dark red patches. EE roosters also have a visible 3 rowed pea comb at an early age, though your chicks comb is hard to see in the pics.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. Chicka and Co

Chicka and Co Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    Australia
    I don't know. He/she does seem to have quite large wings and legs though, so maybe cockerel. How old is he/she?

8. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Uggggg! Not really what I wanted to hear. :(

I live in town and we can't keep roosters here. He/she is 4weeks old, that's why I was afraid of it being a roo. I bought pullets only, but there is always the chance of a roo, and I guess I got unlucky. How long should I wait it out to know for sure? If it's a roo I would like to get rid of him before he starts crowing so as not to get complaints from neighbors. He/she is the friendlier chick I have (only two in the brooder, but will be going in with four adult hens). :hit

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    If he does turn out to be a rooster I would try to keep him as long as possible, really only to keep the other chick company until she can join the adult chickens, and then rehome him.

If that's not something you want to do you will likely know for sure if its a rooster in the next 2-3 weeks. If its a rooster he could start to crow anytime between now and many many months from now, all roosters are different, though 4-5 months is roughly average.

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    You should be able to wait a few more weeks, but birds develop at different rates just like humans. You should think of getting another chick or two before you re-home this one if it is indeed a rooster. Chickens do better with buddies and when it comes time to integrate into the older hens, its always good to have more than 1 new bird coming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by