***HELP*** EASTER EGGER...LATE egg laying 38 weeks old and no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hgm5610, Dec 27, 2014.

1. hgm5610

hgm5610 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    Hi. I have a question. I have 2 easter eggers and live in Indiana. I received them as a few day old chicks on May 3. They still have not laid an egg. They have fresh water, food, good light and clean coop.

Any ideas. I have put in wooden eggs and golf balls. Has anyone had this problem???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since Easter Eggers are of mixed genetics, there is not timetable for them to begin laying, hard to even guess. And in Indiana, it's pretty darn cold right now, I'd guess, too.

I have had an Easter Egger lay a first egg as last as 40 weeks old, so older than yours. You'll just have to wait and bite your nails.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome!
    First thing is are you absolutely certain that your birds are both female? More than once someone has posted about a pullet/hen who has not layed only to post photos and have us see a cockerel.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What part of Indiana are you in?

5. speckledhen

Ah, you're right! I didn't even think of that. Sometimes, it's not so easy to know about the pea combed birds if you are not familiar with male saddle feathers and other male features.

6. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Sneak up behind one. If they squat, it means they are mature. Also, are you putting an egg layer supplement in their food? Mine were June Chicks and started laying in Mid-December. I might add, not all of them are either. I have 6 hens, and the most I have gotten in one day is four eggs. I think I a fifth must have now contributed because I got a blue egg this morning. One of three eggs today. Their may be a fourth one out there today, but I doubt it.

1 person likes this.
  7. speckledhen

I want to add that they will begin laying when they are ready to lay. It's really an individual thing more than a breed thing and good heritage stock tends to lay later than hatchery stock. So, all you can do is wait it out. No supplement will make them start sooner, unfortunately. Those only contribute to the shell quality and overall health of the hen herself.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -

9. speckledhen

We hope you'll post when you get that first egg! The EE hen I mentioned came out of a project for a new color Ameraucana-she didn't make the grade, not being even close to what they were aiming for. When she did start laying around 40 weeks, she started with extra large egg, not little pullet eggs and at 7 years old, she is still (and currently) laying her humongous, jumbo green eggs.

10. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Some of this thread makes me feel marginally better. [​IMG] Of my June chicks, my own EE's started laying at 5.5 months. (In November when the days were shortening, no less) None of the breeder eggs I hatched at the same time have. (I'm waiting and waiting ...and waiting......) Meanwhile my marans from April aren't laying either. Thank heavens for my EE's and mixes.
    I want to add a few more birds to my flock this coming spring. My plan is to hatch eggs from my best and earliest layers.
    Husband wants to add a few feed store production or sex link hens to up the per capita egg production. Plus no extra roosters that way.
    Any thoughts on which route to take?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by