Help!! Egg bound hen or sick hen??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kayde, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Kayde

Kayde New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Missouri
    I've got a silkie hen that was born in March, she has been laying for about a month now. Sunday afternoon she went in the coop to lay she layed for hours five to be exact so I kicked her out to walk around while I cleaned to coop. Once I was done she went back to her laying box. She stayed there all night and Monday morning she was still there so I began to research what could be wrong with her. After looking in to egg bound hens I decided to take action and as I walked out there she was strolling around the yard( no egg).So I fixed up my dog kennel and kenneled her to monitor her droppings and food And water intake. I've noticed she is coughing/sneezing but no discharge. Her comb is dry and shriveled up slightly hard to the touch. Her dropping are solid but small. I can feel an egg in her abdominal cavity. This morning I took her in and with a syringe injected 5cc of olive oil to lube up her egg shoot and she is sitting in a bucket of warm water to relax. I recently purchased four chicks from a flea market whom I kept separate from my flock for a month. They had some kind of respiratory disease and didn't respond well to treatment. I had them taken care of. I have a flock of 7chickens, they are free range. I'm worried I have some how contaminated my flock. Please help I need opinions!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It is possible that the disease has affected the silkie despite keeping the others separate. It can be spread on shoes, clothing, and equipment or cleaning items. She also could be broody, since silkies are notorious for becoming broody even in new layers. They do not eat or drink much while broody, so it would be good to cage her on old towels or puppy pads, with food and water, and perhaps with a little roost to break her. it can take 4-5 days or more depending on how stubborn they are. In the meantime, place some chopped egg with her usual feed, and add vitamins to her water. offer her fluids in a spoon or dropper. I will use a cat food or tuna can placed in front of broodies to coax them to eat. Keep her warm if she seems chilled. Make sure the air circulation if good, and prevent dust, mold or wet conditions. Here is a good reference for common respiratory diseases to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Kayde

Kayde New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Missouri
    She still has yet to lay an egg and she is getting more comfortable being inside. Her breathing has gotten worse she still has no discharge she gasp and sound raspy. I know it's hard to find a vet that treats chickens but i want answers as to what might be wrong with this silkie. I have small children and dogs I'm worried they could possible get that the chickens have[​IMG]what can I do to sanitize my yard, coop, clothing, etc?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by