HELP! Egg bound hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmdude, Apr 24, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I have an older yokohama mixed hen who is egg bound. Her vent is swallon and bleeding. I can't see the egg itself but can see her swallon vent is egg shaped. I feel horrible for her and have no idea what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I have not had that happen, but hope someone will help

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Give her a warm water bath and let her soak awhile. That is what I have been told by other BYCers. Look under "egg bound" for more info on the forum. I hope she passes that egg.[​IMG]

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:Yes, bathe her in warm water and massage her abdomen

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I took my girl to the vet & he lubed the egg inside her. The vet said the egg was real dry & thats why she couldn't lay it.

6. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Thanks for thatgreat info....I am going to save it and hopefully NEVER have to use it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

farmdude, how is your hen?

7. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:The old girl passed away over night. Thank you everyone for the info. It is the first time it's ever happened on my farm, hopefully the last. But if it does happened, I'll be better prepared. Thanks again!

8. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    I'm so sorry farmdude! I had that happen to my Buff Orpington. The egg was coming out sideways. I had read that you stick your gloved/lubed finger in the vent and help rotate the egg. Sounds scary but it was easier than i thought. I just pushed the egg so the pointy end poked out her vent -- she grunted and out it came. Something to note for future (hopefully not) events.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by