1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help! Egg bound quail, but no egg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SarahGfa, Apr 19, 2018.

1. SarahGfa

SarahGfa Chirping

Jan 26, 2018
    San Jose, California
    I have an 8 week old quail who is acting egg bound. She laid her first egg two days ago, and nothing since. Today, she has been puffed up with her eyes closed all day, and is not interested in food or water. Her poops have been watery diarrhea.

I tried to feel the area around her vent and between her legs, but can't feel anything like an egg in there. She seems to walk normally when trying to get away from my hand.

Are there any other possible injuries that could have these same symptoms? She has been indoors her whole life in a cage with just her siblings, so it is probably not any infectious disease. Could the egg be stuck somewhere where I can't feel it? Help!!

IMG_3915.JPG

2. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Aww! She's so cute! I have two Coturnix! My grandmother had a chicken that was egg bound. She soaked the chicken's bottom half in warm water, she also gave her a massage, she seemed to get a little better, but she didn't make it in the end. Best of luck! Feel better little quail friend!

SarahGfa likes this.
  3. SarahGfa

SarahGfa Chirping

Jan 26, 2018
    San Jose, California
    thanks! she has been like this for 24 hours. I'm still not sure if she is egg bound or if it is something else. I can't feel an egg anywhere so I don't know where to massage. Should I try to force her to eat or drink?

4. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Probably, it may give her a little strength.

5. SarahGfa

SarahGfa Chirping

Jan 26, 2018
    San Jose, California
    Well it wasn't egg binding... still no egg, but after 3 days she's walking around and eating and drinking again. I don't think any bird could survive 3 days of being egg bound. Maybe she was just under the weather? weird...

6. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Maybe, quail are weird like that!

SarahGfa likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: