Help? Egg bound? Sick? Not sure what's going on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turrelle, Aug 30, 2008.

1. turrelle

turrelle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    We have a few chickens, and yesterday and today one of the hens was displaying some odd behaviour. I thought perhaps she was going broody as she was on the nest all day yesterday and when I put my hand out to pet her, she screamed at me, which is unusual. Normally she's very friendly and extremely active and outgoing. This morning when I went to feed the chickens she was off of the box, but was very listless. Not much energy. Walking very slowly. I picked her up with no problem at all, whereas before she would not let me lift her. She would let me pet her, but not carry her. But no protest at all until she was in my arms, then a small clucking to tell me she wasn't happy.

Reading through the forums I thought perhaps she is eggbound, but after palpitating her abdomen, I feel no strange mass, and her vent is clear. When I went into the house to check the forum again and went back outside, she was standing in the middle of the yard with her eyes closed, again no protest when I picked her up.

Normally she is a very aggressive feeder but she has not, to my knowledge, eaten in 2 days now. When I bring the food out, she is always the first one in there, and loves to eat out of my hand, but when I put a handful of food out to her yesterday and today, she had no interest in it whatsoever.

I'm worried about my little white....

Is there anyone out there who might be able to shed a little light for me, or point me in a direction? If She still is not changed by this evening, I guess I will try a warm bath tomorrow in case there is an egg that I cannot feel. She doesn't seem to be walking with any difficulty, just very slowly. She is not hunched over, but she seems like she is not feeling well and I don't know what to do.

Please help.

Crystal.

These are my chickens, this is taken 3 months ago, I don't know what kind they are, so I thought I'd post a picture of them in case it helps. This picture does not show the black hen we have who was broody at the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. turrelle

Aug 30, 2008
    bump?

Anyone? Please? I'm really worried about her. I just went to check her and again she's standing near the fence with her head partly down and her eyes closed....she doesn't look good, and we live in the middle of nowhere, no vet nearby....

We have 4 chickens, 2 roosters, 2 hens (they have paired off nicely, I know it's weird to have 2 roosters, but they're brothers and seem to get along well enough, no fighting that we've seen) so not a very big family, but we love them, and I am worried about my little white. "Little black and Little white" are the names of the hens, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure what breed, but they don't weigh much. I was thinking from pictures they might be brahmas, but when I heard that Brahmas can be 9 to 10 pounds, I'm thinking that mine are not Brahmas. They are not that heavy.

I don't know what might be wrong, I've perused the forums and can't find what might be ailing my poor white...

4. miss_inscan

miss_inscan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    Troutdale, OR
    Has she been laying?

Last winter my Lucy didn't feel well. She didn't run for food like usual, her tail hung down, and her head was scrunched down near her body. She went from laying daily to once in a while laying a soft shelled egg, even though she had plenty of oyster shell.

I figured she was laying internally. But when she did lay the soft ones it was hard on her since there wasn't a hard shell to push on. When she didn't feel well I would wrap her in a worm towel, rub her tummy, and sing softly to her. She usually snapped out of it.

For a few months she seemed fine and gave us an egg one in a while. Five weeks ago she didn't feel well one night and by the next day she was gone.

Although I never felt a mass, I think the pressure from laying internally built up on her vital organs. I was glad she went quickly, but wished I could have held her one more time and sang the lullaby to her. [​IMG]

So that is my experience, just in case it helps.

5. turrelle

Aug 30, 2008
    Up until yesterday, she seemed to be laying just fine, one nice brown egg a day. Then yesterday I found her on the nest, and she was upset when I put my hand out to touch her. I brought her some food to see if she would eat and she refused food, so I left her. I thought perhaps she was being broody and maybe we might have some chicks yet this year. But this morning I went out and she was just standing in the yard with her eyes closed, and still not interested in eating. Unless she ate while I wasn't around, this will be day 2 with no eating. Normally we let them range on the property during the day, but she wasn't out and about yesterday, and wasn't interested in leaving the chicken yard this morning..I'm really worried about her [​IMG]

6. turrelle

Aug 30, 2008
    Nevermind. I went to bring her inside for closer observation, and she was sitting in the yard with her eyes closed. I picked her up and brought her into the house into a nest box I'd prepared. I went to get her food and water, when I returned, she looked at me and then started to convulse. She died moments later. Thanks anyway. I'm sad now, what happened to my girl? She was fine a couple of days ago. After she died, a translucent light brownish liquid poured from her beak, did I do something wrong?

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear about your hen. Did she have an impacted crop?

8. turrelle

Aug 30, 2008
    Quote:How would you check that? I'm not familiar with chicken disorders, we've had no problems at all with our chickens until just now so I'm not sure how to figure out if a crop is impacted? I know where a crop is, and what it does, but what is an impacted crop?

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. miss_inscan

miss_inscan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    Troutdale, OR
    I'm sorry about your hen.

Please let us know if you learn anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by