Help Egg Bound??

BaileyMChicks

Songster
May 8, 2015
Wisconsin
Hi. My friend has a hen that is egg bound, I think. She found her yesterday. She said she saw a maggot on her, so I'm assuming she was like that for a while. I am going to go over there to see if I can help her. I have had a hen get egg-bound 3 times, so I have some experience, but this is beyond what I have ever had. I'll see if I can add the pic she sent.

I was thinking get the area cleaned up with warm water and peroxide, then attemp to get the egg out, then if we can get the egg out, prep H her and bluekote it. Does that seem like the right thing to do in this situation??

Hey! I would try an Epsom salt soak, and just relax her, often they just don't lay because they are really stressed out, you might also lube her with some olive oil. I read to do a soak every 30 minutes and in between put her in a dimly lit crate with Lavender sprigs if you have them. And above all, GOOD LUCK!

Hey! I would try an Epsom salt soak, and just relax her, often they just don't lay because they are really stressed out, you might also lube her with some olive oil. I read to do a soak every 30 minutes and in between put her in a dimly lit crate with Lavender sprigs if you have them. And above all, GOOD LUCK!

I'm not sure if she has epsome salts....and we don't have lavender. She has her by herself. I guess we'll just have to try our best. Thanks :)

The chickens take well to the warm bath. I fill a tub that the chicken can hang its head over the side and water level so it goes about half way up. Warmth (temp) pleasantly warm to put your hand in. Set her in the bath holding her so just her feet are standing in it. Once they get used to the warmth and temp press down on the back till she squats. I may have an egg bound one I'm working with but she has water belly and a probe didn't feel the egg. After the first time I don't even have to hold her in the bath.
While in the bath you can probably begin to put the egg out as it softens.

Oh No! I know this is probably too late to help anything, but, could you help her? Did you ever actually see the egg? Or feel? I wonder if she had intestinal lining come out and she was not egg bound at all. Or something like that. Hope she's ok.

I'm not sure how the hen is doing. We felt the egg and (I'll just call her 'A' because I don't know if she wants her name out) 'A' broke the egg inside her and said it felt almost like a soft shell egg. When I was there we just sat with her in the tub periodically soaking her behind in epsome salt water. We did that for an hour and a half, and we put her back after she got really tired. The last I heard the swelling went down some and she was giving her some type of medicine....I'll have to ask.

Did you ever google Vent Prolapse? I guess if you actually got the egg it was not that, but vent prolapse looked similar to the pic's you included.

Back
Top Bottom