Help- egg bound?

erinangele

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2011
My Cream Legbar is about 34 weeks old and still has not laid a egg. Her comb has finally darkened up so I have been hoping for a egg from her daily. The past few days she has been standing like she needs to poop. I’ve just been keeping my eye on her.
Well today I noticed she was not hanging out with the rest of the flock. She was resting on her own and closing her eyes. Her tail is droopy and I haven’t noticed her poop.

I will fill out the questioner with the rest of the info.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Cream Legbar 35 weeks. Average weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.

droopy tail. Looks like she wants to poop. Resting a lot. Sleeping.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

A few days she has looked squatting but just today separating herself from

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothinh

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Organic layer pellets. Some small pieces of olive oil soaked bread.

she is drinking a lot of water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I’ve brought her inside but no poop yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I soaked her in a Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes. Generally massaging her lower abdomen. isolated her inside. I did try to feel for a egg with a gloved hand. I have no idea what I’m feeling for. I didn’t feel anything that felt like a egg but clear and white liquid came out and poor thing squaked in pain.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Home treatment.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

they are free range and sleep in a coop. Bedding is pine chips.

Attachments

• 0C003913-6939-4F7F-A538-CC1509D6C835.jpeg
    0C003913-6939-4F7F-A538-CC1509D6C835.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 5
Have you provided her with any extra calcium? Eggs shells crushed or oyster shells? I helped my hen pass her soft egg a few weeks ago by palpating her vent, helping her pass excrement that had built up & keeping her in a dark cool place for the night to help her rest. By the morning she had passed the soft shell thankfully

Have you provided her with any extra calcium? Eggs shells crushed or oyster shells? I helped my hen pass her soft egg a few weeks ago by palpating her vent, helping her pass excrement that had built up & keeping her in a dark cool place for the night to help her rest. By the morning she had passed the soft shell thankfully

Thank you for your reply. I crushed up a Tums tab and put it in her food. (I saw the recommendation online). I will try soaking her again and palpating her vent.

Thank you for your reply. I crushed up a Tums tab and put it in her food. (I saw the recommendation online). I will try soaking her again and palpating her vent.
Be superr gentle when you do the palpating of the vent. I used gloves & Vaseline to help everything move slowly. How is she acting this morning?

So sad to report that she did not make it through the night.

I’m a little shocked. She was still eating and drinking last night. She never did poop so maybe that’s what caused it.

She also has never laid a egg and all her chick mates started in December. Maybe she has something wrong internally.

So sad to report that she did not make it through the night.

I’m a little shocked. She was still eating and drinking last night. She never did poop so maybe that’s what caused it.

She also has never laid a egg and all her chick mates started in December. Maybe she has something wrong internally.
I’m so sorry for you loss, I hope your heart heals quickly. I lost my sweet RIR Henny Penny last Saturday from an ongoing issues with soft eggs that ended up being masses all along her reproductive tract. Sending you all the love & well wishes

Back
Top Bottom