Help! Egg Cracked! We had to hatch the chick early!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Big Mama K, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Big Mama K

Big Mama K Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Went to check on my hen, 1 chick and eggs. I saw you was looking at an egg so I looked closer. The egg had been cracked some how so, the first thing I though of was you have to help this chick out!! So my husband peeled off the egg shell and he took it in put it into a brooder box. But I started checking it out and notice that it's egg shell was not clean. Still inside the egg shell and attached to is belly is a gob of white slimy stuff! It is less a week away from hatching but I am not for sure of the exact date! What is that white stuff, what do I do and will it be ok?

Plus I think their might be something with its legs and feet! This will be the second one out of this bunch to have something wrong. But I am going to give it time to warm up and relax before I start freaking out about its feet!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you "helped" a chick that was not even due to hatch yet out of the egg the odds of it surviving are next to zero. Is the yolk absorbed? If it is, it was likely further along than what you thought.

3. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    yes, the yolk was asbored but it still had some clear/white slimy stuff attached to its belly and egg. What is that?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Probably the waste sack.

5. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I'm definitely not an expert but I think if the yolk is absorbed it would have to be closer to hatching than a week. I think they do that in the last couple days?? Maybe some polyvisol vitamin drops with no iron, those seem to give them a boost. Is it walking at all? Hope it's ok!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes the yolk sack actually finishes absorbing once it's broken the internal air sack and has pipped and started zipping.

7. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Don't worry about the white/yellowy gunky stuff, all mine have it. Looks a bit like gobs of cottage cheese? It's simple wastes, embryonic leftovers. It usually stays in the bottom of the shell when the chick hatches, but sometimes I've had to wipe it off chicks too. NOT a big deal.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    hope it lives.

9. Big Mama K

Jun 21, 2010
    Fort Branch
    Baby#1 and baby#3. It's going great!! Still a little wobbly but that is to be expected! Baby#1 is missing Momma Moe tonight! I hope these other eggs hatch earlier than what I had anticipated the due date was so I can give them back to the Momma!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by