HELP: egg has crack in it

Chickenleg123

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2017
my baby chick is still in its egg at day 23 and it hasn’t opened the air sack yet and there is a crack in the egg where the air sac is. Is this a problem to my chick? I haven’t seen movement when I candle the egg but I also see a bit of rolling in the incubator. Is my chick dead or should I wait longer?

The crack isn’t visible but when I candle the egg I can see fine lines at the air sac.

Last edited:
my baby chick is still in its egg at day 23 and it hasn’t opened the air sack yet and there is a crack in the egg where the air sac is. Is this a problem to my chick? I haven’t seen movement when I candle the egg but I also see a bit of rolling in the incubator. Is my chick dead or should I wait longer?

The crack isn’t visible but when I candle the egg I can see fine lines at the air sac.
Do you see a beak in the air cell or drawdown? What does the crack look like? They generally stop moving for a bit in lockdown but it's not good that you haven't heard peeping by now. Some pictures of it being candled would really help.

Eggs can rock from someone accidently jostling the incubator... or it could be a malposition.

They are right it could be the pip
It is unlikely from their description, but on the off chance it has at least internally pipped I wouldn't want them to tape over the external pip.

I do think that at this point and with such a small crack taping it over would do nothing helpful if it is indeed not from the chick. It would just impede any future pipping efforts it might make.

Couldn’t get better quality sorry I couldn’t get the crack to show up. It’s a hairline crack which I don’t think has broken the membrane.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom