Help - egg hatching today

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
ok I gave up on broody hen and got her a couple eggs. One hatched yesterday and the chick is dead when I got home. #2 looks like it is hatching today... I kicked the hen out for a walk and food just now. Will she take care of the chick when it hatches? I dont want to move the egg into the house as it is the only one left and I am tryingto break Emilio of being broody. taking the chick wont help her... HELP! suggestions? I put some grain in the coop since I dont know why the chick died yesterday.maybe it was hungry?. it is about 65o here,

You should never remove a hen from her nest especially, if they are hatxhing. You may have killed it. My hen never left her nest the whole 21 days. I never bothered her. She did fine hatched out all her babies and took good care of them. I hope all goes well for you. Michele

I understand what you are saying. Like I said, to my knowledge, I don't think my hen ever left her nest. Are you sure she hasn't left her nest? It's like if you use an incubator, the last 3 days you don't open it. I haven't heard anyone on here say they lost a hen, because they didn't get off the nest. If someone has please post. I'm pretty sure a lot has to do with humidity in the air, whether they get up or not. I've had 3 hens that have done the same thing and lost a ton of weight, they some gain it back after they slow down feeding the chicks. Let me know how things are going.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom