1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help - egg or strange thing passed - is my chicken okay? PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by denise70, Sep 17, 2010.

1. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    Sorry if this post should be under egglaying but this thing doesn't look like an egg.

One of my chickens, a 22 week old BR just laid a couple of soft shelled eggs after laying normal ones for a couple of weeks. This morning one laid a soft shelled one, then I saw this in coop:

[​IMG]
    It appears to be a tiny soft shelled egg, or shell-less egg - membrane intact but squished.

Just now I went out there and found this (next picture below) near one of my chickens and she has been just for the last little while (1-2 hours) not been with the rest. She was eating and drinking fine all day. Yesterday she laid a normal egg. (I have four chickens and there were four normal eggs yesterday).

[​IMG]

This chicken wasn't looking quite normal - kind of keeping to herself. The mass was still warm so I know it was her.

Should I be worried? I have no idea what that thing is? It doesn't looke like an egg, but it appears to be filled with fluid/egg white or something!

Please help if you have seen this before.

Update:
    I just went behind a bush near where I found that other thing and this was there:
    [​IMG]
    Appears to be a shell-less egg with the membrane squished up at the side.

Thanks, Denise

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    If it was me I would cut it open and take pics. If its an egg I wouldn't worry too much. But if its a mass or Ovary then I would be concerned.

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    What the flagg-non! Looks like she layed a squash! Never seen that before... [​IMG]

4. denise70

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    Okay, this is what it looks like inside:
    [​IMG]

It was all liquid inside, so I am assuming not an ovary.

Looks like a white on one side and yoke on the other?

This would have been four malformed eggs passed in one day. Is there a way to treat this?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It can take some time for the egg laying machinery to kick into gear. Nothing you can do really.

6. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh! I am so glad you posted this so I wont freak out it ever happens to me! [​IMG]
    Always learning on BYC!
    [​IMG]

7. denise70

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    Thanks for your help everyone! Just posting about it I feel better.

8. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    one time i had one of my girls lay 2 softies in a matter of a couple hours...and she has been laying for almost a year now...sometimes these things happen and it's ok! good luck!

9. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Soft shell egg.
    I have one who occasionally passes soft shell eggs. The time to worry is when you don't actually find something that resembles a shell.
    Today she passed two soft shell eggs together. One was completely 'deflated' and the other was tiny.
    Mine even have free choice of oyster shells. I think she is just prone to it. I'm also willing to bet that she will "run out" of eggs before the rest. She sure seems to be wasting a lot.. lol.

If she's acting fine and you find the shell.. then I wouldn't worry too much.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Wow awesome post... thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by