HELP! Egg peritonitis? Sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chalidobrenz, Nov 11, 2014.

1. chalidobrenz

chalidobrenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Help meeeee! My chicken has a droopy tail standing with her butt kind of down, fluffy butt feathers, isn't eating normally, has kind of separated herself from the others, and just isn't acting the same. She's got a squishy crop, but I don't know if it's from drinking just water or if that's the issue altogether. I'm concerned about yolk peritonitis or egg peritonitis. She's 8 months old and still hasn't laid an egg. I'm freaked out.. :( She's one of my favorite birds. Has anyone experienced anything simar? Please offer advice, experience, anything! My vet isn't in til the morning, and I just want this little bird to live.

2. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Ruth is in the back. My polishes are bffs. Anyone have ideas? Advice? Anything?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There is a way to tell if she has sour crop. The other, I don't know how you would know.

Take your little pullet outside, set her feet on the ground, and very gently put slight pressure on the bottom of her crop where it feels squishy. If she regurgitates a yellowish, sour liquid, she probably has sour crop. if her poop is thin and whitish with maybe a little green in it, she probably has sour crop and this means she isn't processing her food.

Send someone down to the drug store or Wal-mart and buy a package of (generic) Monistat. Break the suppositories into threes and give her a dose twice a day for the next nine days. You can also use the cream by squeezing out about a quarter inch, place inside her beak and massage it down her throat.

Before I give the dose, I like to get rid of as much of the sour liquid as I can by tilting the chicken forward and downward and massaging the crop to expel the liquid. You probably won't have to do this after the third day since she should be on the road to recovery.

Very recently, one of my hens had sour crop, and I managed to get it early and she recovered in just five days.

You need to keep an eye on her afterwards since sour crop has a habit of recurring.

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    If you are taking her to the vet in the morning anyways, which is the best course if you can afford it, then just bringing her inside to stay warm would probably be the best move, since she is obviously sick.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take a rubber glove, and insert a finger 1-2 inches just inside the vent to check for a stuck egg. Do your hens have plenty of crushed oyster shell in addition to being on layer feed. Is she passing droppings? Is her crop full and squishy first thing in the morning? Does her breath smell okay? I would not attempt to make her vomit unless I was positive that she has a crop problem, and read about how to perform it properly since it can cause aspiration.

6. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    No sour crop.. It was empty this morning. I'm taking her onto the vet momentarily. Hoping for treatment! :( I felt for an egg.. No hardness. Possibly yolk peritonitis? She's passing stool, looks fairly regular. Just looks uncomfortable and droopy. I got her to eat a bit of oatmeal with her food mixed in. She has access to oyster shells at all times and flowing water. I'll let you all know what the Dx is!

7. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    No peritonitis, no egg bound. Doctor is unsure. Has anyone's hen ever had hair worms?

8. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    Blood work came back as LOW white blood count... [​IMG] Not sure what this means for my little bird. The only two things I can possibly think of that would cause this that are related to her symptoms are hair worms (capillary worms) or lymphoid leukosis (which would be devastating [​IMG]). I went ahead and used a dewormer just in case, and now I wait.
    Two questions though:
    IF it is worms, how long should I expect to see a turn around, considering how sick she is;
    AND
    IF it is lymphoid leukosis - which I understand there is no cure for - How long can I expect this little bird to survive? I wouldn't keep her alive for my sake, I just want to keep the poor thing alive until we know for sure that it is or isn't LL.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    There can be many reasons for a low white blood count,some are: viral infection,disease,anemia,malnutrition,vitamin deficiencies,parasites,cancer.

Is abdomen normal,or squishy/hard? what does poop look like?

10. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    Abdomen is not distended, not squishy at all. There's no fever, and no other signs of sickness other than just acting unwell and uncomfortable in her backside. She's not loving the idea of food unless I heavily suggest it and make her a buffet of delicious treats, and even then, she picks for a few bites and then moves on. She's still trying to do normal chicken things and poke around and explore her new digs (my upstairs bedroom), but she's weak because of her weight loss and malnutrition at this point. I have my other polish hen up there with her to keep her company. The vet suggested it, beings that none of my other hens aren't showing signs of illness, she doesn't think this is contagious. The vet called back after her consult at CSU, they gave me a GI motility drug. He thought her X-rays showed too much grit stored in her GI tract, and that could be making her severely uncomfortable. Hopefully this, combined with the anti inflammatory they prescribed does the trick. If it were as simple as a GI motility issue, I'd be ecstatic! [​IMG] I also wormed her with Ivermectin to rid the possibility of parasitic infestation. However, I've still prepared myself for the other spectrum of chicken illness. My hope is that because she's lived for 4 days now with this, and because it came on so suddenly, that it's an acute problem and that it's treatable. Praying this works! This is now a $400 hen (yikes), so I hope I get to keep her. I'll keep an update on this post - I think that this could be the cause of many unexplainable illnesses, especially because it's diagnosed by X-ray, and there is no definitive symptoms that say it's one thing or another. It's just awful though, because your hen literally wastes away before your eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by