Help!! egg production has slowed down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by richje100, Oct 14, 2009.

1. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    Hi all,

for some reason my 7 hens have slowed down giving me eggs. Im lucky to get 4 a day at worst i get 2.
    I thought someone was stealing them but i put a lock on the door & no extra eggs.
    they did do this about a month ago & i put it down to a fox scaring them and they started back up to 6 to 7 for a week. Now they have slowed down again.
    could it be the change in season over here in chilly britain? it gets dark around 6pm now but light around 7am. I know some of them lay between 8-11 but i do have that lays about 2pm.
    anyone got any ideas?

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I'd guess it's the change in season...

3. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    it could be the amount of day light they need about 14 hrs of light of some sort and it could be the food .

Aaron

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Are your chickens molting? The laying slows down alot when they are molting.

I'm getting 2-3 eggs per day, down from 4-6 eggs a day from my layers.
    A combination of less light and light molting.

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yep its the season changing,if your real desparate just get some lights in the coop.It could possibly be that there molting.

6. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    i didnt think they moulted in the autumn/winter?? how many times do they moult?
    i have noticed though some small feathers (the kind thats fluffy at the point and then looking like a feather towards the top). i only got 2 today. its not a problem & i dont want to interfer with nature as it were

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by