HELP! Egg sack still attached

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lucys chicks, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Lucys chicks

Lucys chicks New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    what do you do when the chick hatches but there is a red yolk sack still attached and stuck to the shell cap?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I am sorry we are late getting to this. I personally would isolate the chick on paper towels to prevent injury until the sac absorbs on its own free a few days. I hope everything went ok for the little one!

3. Lucys chicks

Lucys chicks New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    Thank you for responding. I did isolate for a few days on paper towels and the sack did shrink some but did not totally absorb. It just had a dried up bulb attached to its belly. It lived for a week like that and was eating and drinking, but we had a power outage from 9 pm to 4 am. I put a hot water bottle in brooder to help keep it warm but didn't last long enough. The chick got sick and when power came back, the chick continued to fade. It did not make it. All 4 other chicks that hatched are doing fine. :(

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes they just can't pull through especially when something like a power outage happens. I am happy to hear the rest are doing good. Best of luck with them !

5. Lucys chicks

Lucys chicks New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    Thank you. I have 3 Wyandotte chicks and 4 Americana chicks left to raise. Hopefully I have pullets among them and they are not all cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by