Help.... egg smashed by hen chick still alive...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teresa-78, Aug 1, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Help my hen was on 4 eggs, due to hatch today.... went in to check her and she was attacking egg... took it off her
    to find a live chick gasping... quickly brought it in the house and put it under a heat lamp, wrapped it in a damp cloth, but
    not much shell left... its still breathing... does this chick stand a chance of surviving and is there anything I could do to help it??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Someone else posted on here about a cracked egg that still had a viable chick inside. She wrapped egg in damp sock and finished incubating and the chick survived. I would keep it warm and see what happens. It may make it since it was due to hatch anyway, if the hen didn't due any damage.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    The most you can do at this point and wait and see. [​IMG] Some make it...most don't. Depends on how far along the chick was in its hatching process (how much of the yolk was absorbed). Keep an eye on the others and see if she is being rough with them too. If she's a first time mama, sometimes they are fine after the first one hatches.

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    It was due to hatch today.... all the other eggs were rotten as I took them off her once she attacked, I think maybe thats why she may have been rough [​IMG]

I have it wrapped in a damp cloth, and temp in brooder is 35 celcius... is that right??? I dont know much about
    temp ect as I always let my broody incubate eggs, it is the first time being broody for this mummy hen...
    oh I hope it survives, its breathing, and me and kids cheep at it, which it now again moves its mouth... I cant see yolk sac
    as its wrapped up with some egg still attached, (not much shell left though) but dare not touch it incase I do more harm than good [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    It just moved its little leg... please little chick.. be ok [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Sadly little chick died [​IMG] thanks for everyones replies.... [​IMG]

7. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Hugs [​IMG]

8. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009