Help! Egg stuck in egg turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zoomia, Apr 20, 2009.

1. zoomia

zoomia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    I haven't posted all that much, but I've been reading lots. What a wealth of information! I think I introduced myself, but if not, well, I live in Seattle, have wanted chickens for ages and finally got around to doing it. And of course, I couldn't make life easy for myself and just get chickens. Oooohhh noooo, I just had to get barnevelders, which meant ordering the eggs and getting my hands on a (very old) hovabator. I'm having great fun, and as I say, this message board is GREAT.

The eggs I got have been incubating for nearly 10 days, and I am so excited--out of 13 eggs, I can CLEARLY see a little chick moving around in there in 7, THINK I can see a little chick moving around in 3. Two others are clearly duds (really weird egg shape on both), but am waiting just a little to see if anything happens (more for my curiosity than anything else).

And then there's one that I just don't know. For the past four days it's been stuck in the egg turner. Just stuck, even though I've tried a gentle wiggle. I've kind of let it go because I just figured I'd take care of it when I take the turner out of the hovabator. But now that I've so clearly seen those little wiggles ... well, I don't want to kill it if I don't have to.

Any suggestions to help a total newbie out? I really appreciate it. I tried doing a search because I can't believe I'm the only person who's had this problem, but maybe I'm just not getting my search terms right. [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Maybe dribble some water around it!? That might loosen it up some!

3. zoomia

zoomia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Thanks--I tried it, and I think I must have cracked the egg slightly during previous wiggling because a section of the shell remained stuck. Oh well--it was an extra from the dozen I had ordered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by