Help! Egg?? Vent Gleet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DKura, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DKura

DKura New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found one of my other chickens pecking at this girls behind and saw that it was red and raw. Soaked her in an epsom salt bath but still can't figure out what it could be. Never had any issues like this before. The area doesn't seem hard at all so wasn't thinking it could be an egg, right?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    OHHH, I hope she will get relief from this. A vet

5. DKura

DKura New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Called a local vet and they said they would see a chicken. $100 for an examination. Nott to sound terrible, but not sure if I want to start paying a fortune [​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I understand, and that's reasonable. Problem is your hen is in very bad shape and really needs to be treated, but treating that will be quite difficult. You say the are isn't hard, so if not an egg, what is it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    take her to the vet and ask him to make an exception.
    surely when he see her suffering he will help if not
    post here and on facebook

8. Hello and welcome to BYC . Sorry your going through this . I don't mean to be hard but before I spent hundreds of dollars in Vet bills I would cull the chicken .

1 person likes this.
  9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

:(

10. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I successfully treated a prolapsed hen last summer but there was definitely an egg trapped / flipped into the swollen tissue. You should be able to feel an egg- if you can't, this could be another problem. If you do feel an egg, it needs to be removed as soon as possible. I will caution you that anything you do with that exposed tissue must be done VERY carefully so as not to perforate or tear the tissue while examining or treating this problem. If there is an egg, its also a challenge not to crush or break it as you attempt to free it. I'll do my best to help you through the process if you'd like to try to treat her yourself, but you'll need a helper to hold her as well as a few other supplies :hugs

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by