Help----Eggbound hen.....think I have covered all the basis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindsay297, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lindsay297

lindsay297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    I have a 1.5 yr old commercial layer that is egg bound. I have done the warm sits bath and have seperated her out from the flock to give her rest. I have pulled all the stuff out and she is not recovering yet. I did all this yesturday and this morning there is no improvement. I know she is trying to pass something again because she is straining and nothing is happening.

Dont want to make a final decision about ending this if there is something else I can try. ANY ideas are welcome and appreciated.

2. lindsay297

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Please....anyone????? Even hearing that I have done it all will make this easier!!!!!

3. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
  4. soler

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    when you say you pulled "stuff" out, do you mean an egg has broken inside and bits came out?

5. lindsay297

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Thanks for the article!! I have extracted the egg and the soft shell. It was not a fully formed hard shell. The article was very clear and I at least have a reference to say I may have done everything. Will give her till tonight and see what happens.

6. soler

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    di you manage to get the egg out intact or did it break? She might have another egg coming down right behind it. I would try what she says again, ie warm bath, liquid calcium, lubrication etc

Try and feel the abdoment and see if you feel a second mass.

found this in another article:
    A fluid-filled abdomen could be a sign of peritonitis - egg related or otherwise. Whether caused by egg material never passed or not, a good course of action is to immediately put the hen on a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as Baytril. (Good SUPPORTIVE THERAPY should be included in any treatment program - May issue.) If the condition does not improve through the course of treatment, then a local Veterinarian should be consulted for possible fluid removal and to determine the next course of action
    it was in here:
    http://www.countryfayre.co.uk/index.php?module=Pages&func=display&pageid=17

so you may want to start her on antibiotics, if you get the infection sorted early, she can make it.

7. lindsay297

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Thanks....I lost one to peritonitis a few months back. This one is definitly egg bound. Have checked for a second mass and cant feel one. I gave her a second bath just now.....hoping that this will help but, scared to try anything more invasive as she is very weak right now.

8. lindsay297

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Sorry...forgot that the shell was soft and we got it out intact. Had to use syringe to remove the egg first though!!
    Sucks though.....but, I knew with these guys I would get lots of this!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  9. soler

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    it must be so stressful!

intact is great at least. Hopefully she passes the second one and makes it. I didn't know about giving her liquid calcium or a calcium supplement and how that would help her pass one. I thought it was very good info.

I would definitely try and get fluids in her and some soft food, mine love wet cat food - maybe she won't be able to resist some of that?

Best of luck.

10. lindsay297

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Thanks for your words and research, soler. It was helpful to have someone confirm and be with me through this. "Little" passed yesturday afternoon. I had gone out to give another dose of yogurt and crumble. She never got any but died in my arms. All my girls were rescues from the meat plant and I give them what we can. Thanks again for being with me through this.....It is amazing how that can make the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by