Help ! Eggbound hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SophieCaroline, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SophieCaroline

SophieCaroline Hatching

Aug 24, 2013
    So one of my girls is "in labour". She is struggling bad. She is just a classic brown layer but she is one of my girls! My husband and I have 5 sons and my hens are the closest thing to a daughter that I have so they are MY girls! Anyhoo, 18 months old Brunelle has been breathing heavily and her vent is prolapsed. I palped her abdomen, there is an egg. A big one. She usually lays every day a very big, round and hard shelled egg. Every day. Yesterday she didn't lay. Neither did she today. We went to the coop tonight to check up on her and we could hear her breathe through the walls. Poor thing! I have a girlfriend who is used to hens and she told me to lube up a finger and lube the vent inside and out (Eeeek!). I did, I could feel the egg; it's right there and it's massive. I hoped that the lube (organic olive oil) would help her pass the egg but it didn't. I don't know if I'm just an idiot but I could feel a membrane between the egg and my finger. She eats and drinks well and will run for fruits so she still has good spirit. Help??

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Try giving her a tums or calcium tablet,she can have 500-1000mg(one reg tums is 500mg)crush and mix with a bit of water and give to her,or give orally if she will take it. Keep her quiet/calm and in a dark location. You could also heat up a towel in dryer and let her sit on it,heat often will relax bird which may help to expel egg. Many do warm water soaks,but try the calcium/tums tablet first,see if it helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jalutis

Jalutis Hatching

Jul 21, 2014
    I think I'm having the same issue. One of my Cochins- about 16 mos old. Noticed this morning she has a BIG swollen red belly. She's in a cage in the bathroom now, and is eating and drinking but hasn't pooped at all. I've given her tums, oyster shell, olive oil...plus regular food and water. She's taking it all in, but nothing is coming back out. I put some olive oil around her vent, but all I got was a little gas. We gave her .3ml of penicillin in case it is an infection. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also gave her a warm bath yesterday in hopes of moving things along, but no luck. I really don't want to lose my girl. She's such a sweetheart... [​IMG]

4. Jalutis

Jalutis Hatching

Jul 21, 2014
    Update- she pooped this morning. It looked normal. I gave her a bath and lubed her up again, but didn't feel an egg in there. I also tried to draw some of the fluid out with a needle, but I didn't really get any fluid- just a touch of blood.... SophieCaroline- how is your girl doing? Any luck??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: