HELP! Eggbound or Ascities, and What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeepoo, Jan 8, 2009.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I suspected my larger RIR hen might be eggbound because her bottom is full and gushy and out of 4 hens, the egg count goes up and down lately, then I read several posts that sound like it could be ascities… how in the world do I tell the difference, and what do I do with her?

I gave each of the hens a warm bath 2 days ago since it was really warm here in Central Florida and I wanted to clean them up for their new run they've recently been confined to. The last, largest one actually seemed to almost fall asleep in the rinse bucket- now I'm thinking it was soothing to her because of her bottom. When I was bathing and drying her I couldn't help noticing she had this big, full, mushy bottom… not like the other 3. She eats and gets around like the others, and goes into the nestbox and still lays eggs, but not necessarily daily. At this point she doesn't seem to be in any pain, but if it's either of the 2 conditions above that will change, right? I can't afford a $200 vet bill for her- and I'm sure not experienced in emergency hen care. I'm open to suggestions, and an experienced hand if there's one in Orlando.

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Have you felt under her? I heard you can actually feel the egg if she is eggbound. The warm bath was a good thing. Maybe do that again. I hope someone else jumps in here for you.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If it feels like a water balloon it could be ascites. You can easily check by inserting a needle into the water filled "bag" and drawing out fluid. If you draw out clear, watery fluid, it is ascites and you can continue to drain as much as possible. I have a hen that I have to drain about every two-three months but she's healthy and active otherwise and continues to lay eggs. If your hen is also still laying eggs, she's probably not laying internally nor eggbound.

4. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you both- I've been thinking all afternoon about this, so I'll try to draw out what I hope will be clear fluid. Maybe do a nice warm soak beforehand to relax? (Maybe for the hen AND for me) CVS said I could have an insulin syringe and needle for this little adventure. I think I'll have hubbie help me in the morning as he is very good at first aid and operations involving gross stuff, then I'll post what I find. If there are any do's and dont's to this please let me know now!

5. fowlgirl

fowlgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Im havin the same problem. My hen has got the full mushy under belly , bottom tucjed uner and doesnt walk much,lathargic,eat just a little.I did the but probe and cant feel any egg.She has been like this for 2 weeks. Then I put her in the coop for a couple days and she was attacked ,left bloody and sad. She is back in my bedroom.HELP

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    You should be able to buy needles and syringes at any feed store. If you are going to drain the water filled bag, use the largest syringe you can find that way it holds more water and you won't have to stick her as many times. Plus, it usually has a larger needle and sometimes the needle hole will start draining all by itself. I've drained out a cup of clear water from my hen and then left her sitting on towels while she continued dripping. She completely soaked through two folded towels. Whatever causes ascites doesn't go away, this is a treatment and not a cure so it will have to be repeated periodically. I now don't let my hen get as full as she did that first time when I didn't know what to do.

7. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    OK- Helpful Hubbie actually took the day off to help with Large Marge and rest up. We tried to drain fluid from the "water balloon" on Marge's backside… NOTHING came out, and tried 4 different spots. If there was fluid built up, it should have easily come out with the 35cc syringe and 20 gauge needle. The needle is 1" long, and he had it in up to 1/2" if that info helps. We cleaned her up with peroxide and sat her down for a minute, and she seemed normal. There are 2 eggs in the nest box this morning, and I'll watch for more today to see if everyone lays (so I'd know she's laying).
    So now what?

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Unfortunately, if no fluid came out that usually means she's laying internally which means yolk are building up in her and will slowly cook and turn into infection. I hate to say that's what it is, but if she has a gushy feeling sack and it's not full of a liquid that can be syringed out, there's not much else it could be.

9. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Marge laid an egg today (they all did), so is this internal laying an intermittent thing that will eventually necessitate culling? Does the egg sometimes go where it should and not at other times?

I'm attached after almost a year with all 4 hens, but I sure don't want this one to poison from the inside out and suffer. If this internal laying is certain, I'll have to bring myself to do what has to be done… or outsource the job to Hubbie. [​IMG]

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I don't know if internal laying is intermittent or not but I do know that I personally wouldn't cull unless there was a good reason to do so. I always give them every chance. If she's laying and eating and drinking and getting around, I would give her all the time she needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by