help! eggbound quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by da1goth2, Nov 6, 2014.

1. da1goth2

da1goth2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Hi everyone, i need some help with my quail a.s.a.p please, i suspect she is egg bound, i thought she had stopped laying for winter as she stopped laying a few days ago, however today she looks sick and seems to have the symptoms of being egg bound but i can't feel an egg stuck, yet she is slightly bloated. She tries pooping but nothing comes out. So now shes in a warm bath and a small amount of yellowy white goo appeared so i guess she did a tiny poo. What should i do to help her? I'll be gutted if she dies so i need some advice please.

2. bkquail

bkquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    California
  3. da1goth2

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Thanks for the link, although she has all those symptoms i'm starting to wonder if it could be egg peritonitis atleast i think thats what its called, because i can't feel an egg, atleast not from the outside, i haven't tried an internal examination yet, but i think i'm going to have to. I don't thinks she is going to make it :( so i may have to cull her, i have never culled a bird before, so i guess i better learn how to do it humanely. Hell if it was me i'd want someone to put me out of my misery i guess.

4. bkquail

Oct 24, 2014
    California
    No problem. If you feel an egg during internal examination you can try to give her a warm bath and oil the inside her vent and give some inflamatory meds. I can also link a video of how to cull quail if you'd like.

5. da1goth2

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    I still havent examined her yet but i will within the hour, she looks bad. After reading about egg yolk peritonitis, i think it may be that. I just don't have the money to take her to vet right now. So i think culling her will save her alot of pain, so if you could put the link to the video i would really appreciate that. Thanks

6. bkquail

Oct 24, 2014
    California
    Here is how to Cull her (hopfully you wont have to) Here is how to process her (if she was mating she might have a fertile egg in her that you can incubate and possible get an offspring of her) i have had a few friends they had egg bound chickens and they got the eggs out and incubated them and got little chicks! that are still alive to this day! best of luck and i hope she makes it

7. da1goth2

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Thanks for all the help i appreciate it. She died last night, it's very sad as i only have a few quail as pets and it's strange without her. Never thought i'd cry so much.

8. bkquail

Oct 24, 2014
    California
    sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by