Help eggs are dry!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladywolfe, Dec 28, 2009.

1. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    I am having to hatch chicks because they are dry inside I would rather not do this can I spray them with a squirt bottle since eggs are porous? I have added water but some of it leaked out I don't think there is much I can do. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Lukewarm water, very light spritz. I have done it and it works better than just leaving them. Best of luck to you! I hope the hatch turns out well!!

3. ladywolfe

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks I'll try that.

4. ladywolfe

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    How often should I do this every couple of hours, once a day?

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    how close are you to hatch? I would do it a few times per day for the last few days at least.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What kind of incubator? How close to hatch are you? Can't you just keep adding water ... like use a tube, or straw, or turkey baster, and just keep adding water to it?

Or, are you saying the chicks are hatching now, and need more moisture?

7. ladywolfe

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    The chicks are hatching now! They were due on the 25th, but my incubator has not been doing as good as it has this summer, because we heat the house with a wood burning stove; so keeping temp. is harder. In the summer we keep temp. about the same in the room but winter is different. I have 2 peeped now and 4 more to go. I hope they all make it these are my favorite BLRW.

8. kathyinmo

Oh, I see. Yes, the wood burning stove would make a difference. It is tougher in the winter, as the air inside the house is usually drier, from the heat source (furnace, stove, etc). I would just keep adding water. Even if some comes out the bottom ... some will stay in. Don't plug the vents or holes. That is for oxygen. That is very important.

9. kathyinmo

Do you have a gauge to measure humidity (hygrometer)? What is your humidity at? The eggs will be dry on the outside, yes. Are you saying that after they pip, the inside is all dry?

10. ladywolfe

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    Yes, when they peep they are dry on the inside, the membrane that has the blood veins is dry. I have added water and have sprayed a mist on the eggs. I have a humidity gauge that I can put in and will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by