Help!! Eggs hatching 911

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Breemilla, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Breemilla

Breemilla New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    My eggs are on day 21 and are beginning to pip. One is a little more advanced than others. My hen pecks at the pip in the egg( which I can see feathers) every so often. Should I do something or is this normal? I have googled without luck. I don't want her to kill her chicks but I defiantly don't want yo harm them if this normal of the natural hatching process.

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    Its just my opinion, but my opinion is let her be with her eggs, and what will be will be. The momma knows a little better than any of us what the hatching chicks need. She's got evolution and instinct on her side.

3. Breemilla

Breemilla New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    Thank you so much for replying. I have been doing that and I think that it has been working so far.

4. Carin

Carin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    South Africa
    In my opinion the hens peck at the hatching eggs and it is natures way. The other thing that I observed is that the hens eat most of the shells after the chick is out. Have you ever noticed how little shells are left in the nest after the chicks hatched and how many shells are left in an incubator after the hatch?

5. Breemilla

Breemilla New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    this is my first hatch but I definitely took y'all advise and let them be. so far I have 6 wonderful little chicks & 5 eggs to go. Mother hen is actually doing a great job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by