Help! Eggs hatching & getting ready to hatch - Sportsman questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Mar 5, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have 30+ chicks hatching right now in the hatcher. One hatched during the night Tuesday, one yesterday, and the rest today and still hatching. I have quail eggs in there that I need to get out and put in a separate hatcher but I'm afraid to open it! [​IMG] I know, I know...I didn't plan very well.

Can I safely leave the two early birds in there or do I need to get them out quickly? Going on 48 hours for the first one already. Do I risk it to get them and the quail eggs? Today is day 14 for the quail.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Can't answer about the quail eggs but I'd definitely take out the two fluff butts.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    The problem is that I've got at least 15 fluffy butts by now with more hatching as I type, so I'm afraid to open the bator and suck all the humidity out. I've never left chicks in that long, usually no later than 12 hours which is why I'm concerned. I know they don't have to eat or drink for up to 3 days but am I pushing it?

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If it was me I would take a chance on the 2 chicks in there surviving amd not open the bator. If you open it you are more than likely gonna loose the chicks that are hatching and very possible youre quail eggs. You already said you knew you didnt plan it well. Remember that next time. Hope everything works out for you and your chicks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  5. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks Brian - I think I'll take your advice and leave them in there. These are all from the same hatch, just two hatched early. I'll leave the quail eggs in there and hopefully the hatch will finish tomorrow and then I can get them. I don't want to take a chance on the others that have pipped.

Usually with the LG it wasn't a big deal to reach in and grab them, but this is so much bigger that getting them out isn't quite as easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by